Couple Questions as I'm considering OmniPod

DextrosePLZ: in addition to the arm placement I've started using the front my chest, above the nipple with the cannula down so it inserts in the skin above the fatty tissue about 1-2" above the nipple.

That's a way of dealing with the more restricted positioning on my arm, and it avoids door-frame detachment.

John Bowler

Interesting! I've never thought of chest placement before either. Lots to learn! Do you notice any difference in the onset of insulin when it's on your chest?

In 34second's photo the pod is over the middle head of the triceps. The long head is closer to her body and maybe a little higher up. That is wear I place my pod; it seems I have more fat the closer to my armpit I get. I think the amount of fat is important since the only places I get occlusions are where I have to pull the skin together during placement (these sights also hurt more so I stopped using them).

It's funny you bring up door frames! Door frame detachments are more common for me then pod failures. I also had trouble getting the tube caught on door knobs with my old pump. Guess I just take corners too tight.

I've never noticed any changes in onset with any location. The only thing I've noticed is the pod-change delay, and that went away with the new pods.

I don't use any location where I can't pinch 1/2" (12mm) because the cannula inserts to a depth of 1/4" (6mm). I figure even if I can pinch the skin up when I let go the cannula is going to hit muscle and that doesn't sound good.

This is another reason why my sites are restricted. I can't pinch that amount of skin/subcutaneous fat anywhere on the front of my thighs. That's just a consequence of 40 years of daily injections - the subcutaneous fat has been destroyed. I'm entirely restricted to locations where I didn't inject.

John Bowler

You needn't carry the PDM all the time - you only "need" it to take a bolus and you could replace your current meter with the PDM if you'd like. It's a beautiful thing!

The problem with any other pump is that its attached with a tube. Having a small pod on the side of your hip, butt, or the back of your arm is easy. I go to the gym with it, run run and mountain bike with it, and surf with it. You don't need to unplug, just wear as normal. I also have 3 kids and they smack it around some times but never had a problem. If i had a tube they would have ripped it off many times in the last 4 years of wearing it. Good luck