Couple Questions as I'm considering OmniPod

So I'm deciding on an insulin pump. At the moment I'm deciding between the T-Slim and the OmniPod. I've been wearing the sample Pod for a couple days and really like how it isn't very noticeable. So far it's survived bout of snow shoveling and some running as well as my 2 and 5 year old... So I don't think I'll have any real concerns with it staying put. However I was wondering if all the jostling from the kids while not enough to dislodge it could lead to more occlusions and Pod errors? Also for those on Express Scripts any issues getting the override for the Freestyle strips since the beginning of the year? Did it change your Co-Pay?
Thanks for your help
Andrew

I've had my Omni pod since shortly after my daughter was born. She is six now and I've never had a problem from holding/carrying/playing with her etc. The only place I think it might be a problem would be your stomach? I've never worn mine there but I do have a dexcom sensor on my stomach now and still no problems. Good Luck!

I've had Omnipod for about 2 and a half years now. I have an almost 3 year old and a 15 month old. They've not been able to knock it off. I did a marathon (26 mile) class 4-6 white water rafting trip with my Omnipod on. Didn't budge. I tend to wear them on the back of my upper arms, as they are more out of the way for me there. I have Express Scripts, got the letter, I made a call, they did an override. Some folks needed intervention from their docs, but since the Omnipod was already approved, and the strips are needed, my coverage just did an override. Some folks had the strips run through as DME (Durable medical Equipment)like the pod supplies are classified and that covered it that way. Everyone's plan is different. There is usually a work around of some sort. As for pod errors, I've had maybe 3 ever my entire time since day 1 of the pod. Probably a much better track record than a tubed pump ever. Some people have had some back luck. I don't know if it is user error, bad lots in the beginning of the switchover to the newer smaller pods, or what. I've not had any of that. I love being able to wear it anywhere I can give an injection, and not having to clip a unit somewhere and having a tube that might get caught on something. I wouldn't want to have to disconnect when I want to go for a swim or take a bath. Love tubeless. Love tiny. I forget it is even there most of the time.

I can't speak to the insurance part.

but it will be fine for all the jostling you do with your kids. I have been on the omnipod for a little over a year, and I am so glad I chose the omnipod, good luck in your choice! I am sure you will make the right choice for you!

Attention can detach the pod, normally it is obvious (you hear the ripping of the adhesive).

I've never had errors or occlusions; either the pod comes all the way off or it works.

How did you find running carrying the PDM? A little concerned about its size carrying it around all the time, but especially out for a run. Already feel a little overloaded at times with my cell phone, water, fuel and current meter which is much smaller, when I head out for a longer run.

Size is a non-issue; it weighs 150g, so compared to a water bottle it's insignificant. Anyway, unlike the t-slim, you don't have to carry it with you ;-)

(And, unlike the t-slim, you can swim with it :-)

I've had a few pods fail while I was running. It's hasn't been every time I've run, but every time I've had a failure, it's been while running. I don't normally carry the PDM with me unless I'm going 10 miles or more. For those runs, I tuck it into my back pocket, but if I can track down a good case with a belt clip (not loop), I won't have to worry about that, either.

I've never had a pod failure while running if the pod is on my back, but occasionally when on my arm or leg.

Tangent discussion: DEA: For runs greater then 10 miles do you bring test strip and a lancet? Do you use a camera case? … It would be nice to come up with a way to carry the PDM, strips, and lancet in a more compact way.

For runs where I do take the PDM, I generally just put it in a plastic bag and stick it into my back zip pocket. I am, at this moment, trying to track down a belt-clip solution for it and my Dexcom G4. The Dexcom has one already, but I need something more resilient. I also pack strips, lancets, and my OneTouch UltraMini BG monitor in a plastic snack bag and stick it in a different pocket. I need a lot of pockets...

Wow, that is quite a bit…I don't think I could run with that much gear on me. Have you tried that the belt clip case on Omnipod's website?

DEA: I'd be very interested in hearing more about the pods you've had fail while running. Were they the new, smaller pods? I'm experiencing a pod failure every time I run outside (which lately has only been for races). This has only started since I have been receiving the new pods (never happened with the old pods). I usually wear the pod on my upper arm and it has been suggested to me that my issue could be static. I find this VERY hard to believe as I've had them fail in the fall and winter (when humidity levels are very different) and they have also failed when I've worn sleeveless shirts, short sleeve shirts and long sleeve shirts. They never fail when I run on the treadmill indoors and I wear the same type of clothing inside as I do outside. I'm actually considering a switch back to a tubed pump due to all the failures I've experience while doing something to improve my health (running) and don't want to give up staying active because of problematic technology. Have you been able to determine what caused the failures you had while running?

I have not been able to track down the reason, no. It has only happened to me with the new pods. I wear them on my abdomen, and it has happened both with standard tech shirts (for which the static idea is somewhat plausible) and with natural fiber shirts (cotton/bamboo) that does not generate the same kind of static. I have returned the pods, and there is a note for someone in their engineering dept. to contact me. I am still waiting, but remain optimistic.

Can I ask how long ago you returned the pods? I'm planning to write a lengthy letter detailing my issues to return with the three I'm going to call in today. I'm hopeful that I will either be able to talk to or at least get a response from someone who knows a little bit more than the folks who answer the customer service line. Regrettably, those poor folks have borne the brunt of my wrath on more than one occasion with these unexplained failures (and I of course, have apologized each time) but it's getting very frustrating. I'm only glad I still had the old pods when I completed my first full marathon last October!

It's been a few weeks now. Long enough that it's not at the forefront of my thoughts. Congratulations on our first marathon, btw. I was also happy that my pods made it through the entire Dopey Challenge at Walt Disney World last month. Although, like I always say, if you're going to have a pod fail, probably the best time is during a lot of aerobic exercise.

I found I had consistent failures with the new pods on my upper arm, whereas the old pods were fine. The failures seemed to be prompted by cold - they seemed to happen when I went out for my morning walk, which isn't running but involves a reasonable amount of moderate exercise about 150ft of ascent in 10 minutes.)

The pods didn't just fail then, but they *always* failed in that location. After a lot of failures I worked out that the new pods fail for me if they are positioned too high on my upper arm, particularly if the cannula is on the upward end.

I figured it's something to do with location of the cannula, or maybe the pod, where the upper arm muscles cross: The two that are on the arm - 'biceps' I think and the one that crosses from the shoulders - 'deltoid'. I got those names from Wikipedia though, so they may be wrong. I think if the pod adhesive crosses the deltoid or if it crosses the two biceps and the canula is in the wrong place arm movement causes issues.

I avoid this by positioning the pod cannula downward on the bulge on the outside of my upper arm: I think it's the one called the long head of the bicep muscles and I'm positioning the pod so that it's only over that muscle.

This considerable restricts locations compared to the old pods, but it seems to work ok - I haven't had a failure since I started positioning the new pods this way.

John Bowler

Thank you for your input, John. I was actually just considering whether or not the direction of the cannula might have anything to do with the issue the other day. Up until yesterday, I have only experienced the failures with the new pods exclusively on my upper arm (which is my preferred location for when I run) and I always had the cannula pointed up (so I could see it). I've just this past week started using my outer upper thighs and have experienced more lows that usual (I'm guessing as a result of running with the insulin directly on my leg).

Curious if anyone else has noticed a distinct rattle with some (but not all) of the new pods? Almost as though there is something loose inside? I noticed it when I had the new pods on my arms (but not always). Other people I've mentioned this to in other forums indicated that they noticed the rattle (or didn't notice the rattle) but hadn't had any issues. For awhile I thought that might be contributing to the failures I was having, but since hearing from others I've reconsidered that theory. What really perplexes me about this is why they don't all either rattle or not rattle. It seems is should be consistent across the board. If it's just something that the new pods do, then I would expect they all would do it but that hasn't been my experience.

Do you wear your pod on the front of your shoulder? Haven't heard of that before. The long head of the biceps runs along on the front part of your shoulder (if you feel the front part of your shoulder you should find a grove running strait up and down about halfway between the outside of your arm and your armpit; that grove is where the long head lives).

There is also a long head of the triceps which in very close to your armpit on the back side of your shoulder; that is where I tend to place my pod. I've never had one fail there (knock on wood)

Not sure if the image is going to come through, but when I have my pod on my arm, it's positioned with the cannual up on the back of my upper arm. I guess I always thought this was my tricep area, but I'm not 100% sure what it's truly called. Never had an issue with the old pods in that spot and for some reason I really only have had new pods fail in this spot while running outside. Perhaps my arm movement is different inside on the treadmill?

See 34second's photo; that's exactly where I was putting mine when it was failing. I know nothing about anatomy, so the names I gave may all be wrong - I just got them off the diagram on Wikipedia.

The position I use now is still almost exactly the same as 34second's with regard to the cannula, however I have rotated the pod through 180 degrees about the cannula so it now points down and the whole thing is higher up.

With the old pods I could position the pod lower on the back of the arm and also move it round towards the sides. I usually, but not always, positioned it with the cannula up. The only problems I had were periodic door-frame detachments.

With the new pods the only position I've got to work has been the very central cannula down position that I just described.

John Bowler