Cravings

Hey everyone. I have a question. I often crave thick breads. Like pancakes, waffles, stuff like that. I am type 2. Anyone know why this is? It is so frustrating and hard to get by.
I am trying a low carb diet but I just can’t seem to get it to work. Any help will be so so so appreciated.

Happy New Year!
Sonya

How many carbs are you eating? I keep mine at around 20g per day and even on wild days I don’t go above 35g. That reduces the cravings considerably. If you fall off the wagon, the cravings will come back with a vengeance, so it really helps a lot to adhere strictly to low carbing. There are several low carb bread recipes that taste wonderful, but won’t spike your blood sugar. (Jennifer Eloff’s “Splendid Low Carbing”)
There is an article in the New York Times today that shows age related dementia is linked to poor blood sugar control. By going low carb, I feel you are doing the most significant thing you can do for your health. Don’t give up, you are on the right track.

I’m not really sure how to count net carbs, so I don’t. I try to stay away from them all together. But then I crash and I want the breads and so on. I ordered the atkins diet for diabetics. So I am hoping that will help me a great deal. Thank you for your post.

Hi Sonya,

I have a similar issue with carbs. So, I began researching how to accomodate this need for carbs without spiking my blood sugar about 2 years ago. Keep in mind that it’s not just about the number of carbs per day you eat. It’s also about how quickly the food you eat turns to sugar in your body.

I’m not a fan of low carb diets because the crap that is in most of the foods from manufacturers that sell these low carb products is not always good for you. I especially have a problem with any Sugar Alcohols because while they are allowed to subtract them from the carbs to come up with Net Carbs, Sugar Alcohols DO convert to sugar. Some people handle them better than others, but if you test your blood sugar when you try a new food you’ll know how you react.

You should test fasting, then every 30 minutes for 2 hours. Then you’ll know how your body responds.

We developed a product that everyone loves and my Endocrinologist (a type 1 diabetic) began testing the product when I found it had a minimal impact on my blood sugar for me.

We make energy bars. Sweetened with Agave and Honey. They taste really good, they are filling and portion controlled. Check it out at www.granolagourmet.com. Let me know if you have any questions. You may also find my blog postings on the website interesting as well. I’ve been writing it for almost a year now and it’s called Challenging Diabetes.