Cutting weight

I'm probably gonna get some grief for this, but I need some advice on cutting weight. It is not too extreme. I need to lose 6 pounds by April 28th. I've researched it online, but can't find much on how diabetics can safely cut weight. Maybe that's because it isn't safe at all. I have a Judo competition and need to be down to 158 by next Saturday. I've read to eat a high protein/low carb diet. But if I go w/o carbs, I'm usually low all day. Does low carb mean low simple carb or all carbs? I am good about staying away from simple carbs but do consume a lot of complex carbs, like whole wheat products. I also LOVE cereal, but it is usually the high fiber type also. I will also be exercising a lot more than usual and will be getting low frequently, so I will need to adjust my basal rates. This is so complicated and I'm really worried I'm not gonna be able to pull it off. I'd like to lose it the good way and keep it off so I don't have to do this again. And also because it is dangerous to do it the harmful way by sweating out all the water in your body, which is never good for diabetics! Any advice from someone who's been there, done that would be much appreciated.
P.S. I've also put in a call to my endocrinologist.

I would love advice on this too ! I want to lose 5 pounds by May 15!

6 pounds in 10 days is a lot (over 1.5 lb per day). in high school knew guys that would have to suck weight to make their weight classes and would starve themselves and sweat out all the water weight they could. they might make the weight but end up being very weak because of the effort to get them there (then they'd start the process over again for the next match). throw in the lows you are likely to experience because of the exercise and low calorie intake and you are flirting with disaster. I don't think this is a good idea

the sane way to lose weight and keep it off is burn more (exercise) than you take in think the general rule is a calorie deficit of 500 cals per day for steady weight loss

I saw a good video on this topic, although not specifically for diabetics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKs0oEIVOck

Although on a more serious note, follow some suggestions:
1) Decrease any basal rates, and decrease your carb-to-insulin ratio.
2) Eat lots of small meals. No larger than a fist. Maybe 6 meals a day. Lots of green veggies.
3) Do lots of 50%HR cardio exercise. Don't kill yourself, but make the effort worth the time. Jogging, biking, whatever, an hour a day or so.
4) Consider investing the time and (possibly) money to get a CGM. It is a good tool to have. You may be able to get one for a short time from a Diabetic Trainer or Endo.
5) Talk to a diabetic dietitian.

Be aware that being slightly dehydrated could through off your BG meter or CGM.

SIDE NOTE: If you aren't really concerned with long term effects on your body or keeping in good health, I've found the most weight loss experienced for me was either during a bad stomach illness or having really high (300mg/dl+) BG for days at a time. Both are horrible for your health and left me feeling weak and depressed. I wouldn't recommend either. From your post, you seem to realize that losing weight in bad ways, is, well, bad.

Good luck! I myself would like to drop about 20 lbs, but it usually takes me 8 or 9 months of continuous exercise to do that, and then 3 months to put it back on.

Thanks for the advice. I'm already pretty familiar with the healthy way to lose weight. I've lost about 30 pounds over the last year or so but I've plateaued at anywhere from 162 to 165. I have a healthy diet of fruits, veggies, high fiber, and healthy proteins, so I'm kind of at a loss of where to cut the extra calories. I usually stay between 1500 to 1800 calories/day. To keep the extra fluid off, I will stay away from soda, sodium and caffeine. I guess I'll just have to cut out the granola bars and absolutely no snacking of any kind. This is going to suck!!
I'm having trouble with this right now probably because my glucose is low and I'm hungry. :) Guess I need to cut the basals back a little bit more.

fantastic job thus far! just be careful and kick butt next week

Thanks. I already cut my basal rates but I always forget about my insulin/carb ratio. And I'll put in a call to my diabetic dietician. Excellent advice! I wish I had an endo that specifically worked with diabetic athletes, but I cannot find one for the life of me.

Unfortunately, for short term weight loss, if you go the low-carb route, you'll probably have a case of Atkin's Flu for your competition. You'll cut a ton of glycogen and lose a ton of water weight.

I had this problem when I was doing BJJ tournements. I just gave up on getting to the next lowest weight class. It was easier to beef up for the higher weight class. Long term, I think getting to te next lowest weight class is doable safely and effectively. I don't even know if it's worth the effort short term though.

I totally understand. I'd much rather stay where I'm at and be at the higher weight class, even though I do want to keep losing, just not so much so fast. But here's the problem with staying where I am at: there are so few girls that do Judo, if you aren't at just the right weight, you won't get to fight. There are no other girls in my weight class. And this in Kansas City-Missouri and Kansas. Maybe I should just not do this competition and lose it the healthy way for the next one. Because I HAVE to lose this 6 pounds and stay there, if I want to get fights at these competitions. And I want to fight. :)

Yeah, that's a problem. I know it's probably not the ideal situation, but if you really want to compete, what does the next highest level look like for competition? I know rules are generally pretty tough about dropping to the next lowest, but if you want to compete at the weight level above your own weight at a disadvantage, would they have issues?

They wouldn't have issues as long as they didn't outweigh me by more than 15 percent, according to AAU rules. So if I entered the Open class, I could fight someone lighter or heavier, but no girls ever enter the Open class. It's tough being a girl in martial arts. I'll try as hard as I safely can to lose it, but if I don't, I guess I'll just have to see what happens. I may get disappointed, but it's not worth messing with my health.

almost fight night!! how goes it?

I was well on my way to making weight and decided to go to a BJJ class with a friend that had been asking me to go for a long time. Seemed like a good idea at the time. An extra workout, sweat some more weight off, etc. But it turned out to be a BAD idea. We were rolling at the end of class, 6 minute rounds. I got put in an armlock and was in a position where I couldn't tap and he cranked it way too far. It's sprained or torn. Not sure. But no tournament for me. I'll just be at home watching live streaming of the Invicta Fights.

Hey, sorry to hear of your injury. I know this is a bit late, but maybe it will help for your next competition day.
I found replacing all heavy carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, potatoes with a grain carbohydrate like brown rice helped me significantly, Im able to retain the glycogen in my muscles and it doesn't really have much else in it besides carbs. I also try to eat all of my carbs before 4.pm, and only have a small amount after training in order to recover from the excercise, usually about 20 to 30 grams. The key thing is I try to keep this up all year round so I can stay as close as possible to my competitive weight. It's strict, but I feel much better as a result.
I'm a very active competitor in BJJ at blue belt, so I know weight is a massive issue, it just requires control and patience, something any diabetic will be able to apply

Thanks Shane. I'll take that advice. I've got another tournament at the beginning of June, so I'll have a few to lose before then. I don't eat many carbs as it is and all of them I do consume are whole wheat. I'll try brown rice and see how I like it. It's tough staying on top of everything. Diet, exercise, training, diabetes, plus family responsibilities. But martial arts has added so much to my life, from my training buddies in my club to the knowledge and confidence that comes with training and competing. Making weight is tough but I wouldn't give it up for anything.

I was ordered by my dietitian to carb load more so brown rice seemed to be the way to go to. and lots of fish :) It's good to see the dedication, Diabetes and sports can be difficult but I think it helps to maintain psychological control over the condition. Making weight is tough, I fully agree, the drawback for me, that I personally have, is muscle gain from the active steroid in my meds and heavy conditioning training, I'm weighing in about 8 lbs over for lightweight. Great for body building, not for bjj. I have a comp the last week in June so I've just started my diet again. let me know how you get on. Good luck :)

The battle of the bulge is tough especially when you feel like you have hit a plateau. I think journaling everything you eat and do is especially important at times like these. I have been stuck in a plateau for a bit. I have been working out for 5 months now. I have lost 2.5 pounds and 1 inch around my main target area my belly. I have gained some muacle in my upper legs and bum which has made some of my clothes tighter but I know it is muscle and my legs need it. I started journaling and discovered I was working out every other day instead of 5 times per week. I also know my weeknesses and where I am not eating as clean as I should. I am trying to work out every day now to get myself in that habit. Run everday and do muscle building exeercises for different parts of the body every day. I would like to be able to do at least one pull up and would like to lose a few more inches around my belly. Not sure if my message was helpful. Your 10 day goal is long gone. But maybe the athletic diabetics can help motivate each other.