D and the Family

Hi!
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get your family more involved? I am 29 (yeah, I am not really a kid by any means! Ha Ha :slight_smile: ) and have been a type 1 diabetic for over 12 years. My dad is a also a Type 1 diabetic, and has been for almost 26 years. If that is not enough, 3 out of my 4 grandparents were Type 1 diabetics, and passed away (very young) from complications. It’s nothing new to my family, and yet NO ONE can talk about it. Everyone has the idea that if no one says anything, then everythings okay. I was spending the night at their house and dropped dangerously low. I guess from what they say I was just sitting on the side of the bed covered in sweat just mumbling. My dad said he asked if I was okay and then left. My sisters later told me they had done the same thing. I think I passed out and eventually came to. All I remember is waking up and crawling over to my pump bag for glucose. After eating a few, I pulled out my meter and tested, and I was 28! Needless to say in the morning not only did I have a horrid headache, but I was mad that they couldn’t recognize something so severe. I talked to them about it, and they said they didn’t know. We have talked about it so many times. I am not trying to cram it down them, but I think they should take some sort of interest in it. Am I wrong to think that? Should I try to educate them? If so, how do I go about it? Thanks for your suggestions!

Wow… just wow :frowning:

I’m sorry you have to deal with that… I think that maybe, honestly, they really DIDN’T know that you were low, or that it was truly serious, if it’s not something you’ve talked about. You can’t even assume your dad understands, really - just being diabetic for 26 years doesn’t automatically make him an expert.

Is it possible that you can ask your family to all sit down and have a discussion about it? It sounds like it is long overdue, not only for your sake but your dad’s as well.

My husband is pretty clueless when it comes to D, but at least he would know to get me juice, and if I was unresponsive/out of it, to call 911.

A family discussion sounds like a good idea and it might work best if someone from outside the family lead it.

Could you schedule an appointment with a diabetes educator? I’ve had my significant other and my sons go with me for an appointment that was solely about them living with me. All three appointments were great and led to good – and continuing – conversations.

On the other hand, it sounds as if there might be a fair amount of denial going on in your family. If that’s the case, you’re in a can’t-win situation. If they acknowledge your diabetes and your challenges, they’d have to take a look at their own – not likely when there’s a thick layer of denial.

I’m really sorry that you are going through this. My parents and brothers NEVER talk about my diabetes but then again I’m the first person in my entire extended family to have diabetes of any kind. (I was diagnosed at age 40, eight years ago.) Family support would be wonderful but it might not be possible.

Janet

Wow…thats surprising that with all the type 1 diabetics in the family that they wouldn’t recognize that you were low. My 13 year old daughter was just diagnosed with type 1 about 6 weeks ago. While in the hospital we took classes where they taught us what to look for. Maybe something like that might help, it really helped us. I think that the more people who know whats going on and what to look for the better off you will be. My daughters friends have also been taught what to look for, and what to do if they see symptoms of low blood sugar, they think it is really neat that we have involved them, and their (the friends) parents also thought it was a good idea. I think them being involved and having a little bit of knowledge about it really takes away some of the fears that they may otherwise have, that may cause them to ignore instead of help. good luck

I just realized you live in Utah…we live in Idaho and drive 3 hours to go to the Diabetes Center in Salt Lake. They have really good classes for diabetics and their families.