D and the Media? D and the General Public?

Please see my recent post here. I didn’t know where to put it.

Do we need a new category for D and the Media? D and the General Public, or something like that?

Or is the multiplication of categories itself a fault?

Thanks.
M.

Maybe a community misc? A couple of times I’ve had a hard time figuring where to put a post.

The problem is even deeper that conflated type 1 and 2 and lies in the word diabetes. Diabetes is a word that describes the common symptoms of excessive thirst and urination (polydipsia and polyuria) of 7 completely different diseases, 4 diabetes insipidus which does not affect blood glucose management and 3 diabetes mellitus which does.

In other forums I tend to use very specific terminology - Autoimmune type 1 diabetes mellitus, Insulin resistant type 2 diabetes mellitus and pancreatogenic type 3c diabetes mellitus.

There is more complications because some of the minority diabetes mellitus diseases are lumped in type 2. The ones that come to mind are MODY and Monogenic diabetes mellitus.

I remember someone posting that diabetes mellitus was old fashion. Wrong it is more specific and the word mellitus is from the Latin word for honey, mel. DM urine can be sweet compared to DI urine which is nearly pure water, insipid.

2 Likes

My inner medievalist insists on sharing that back in pre-modern times, when the theory of the four humors was the basis of medicine, smelling & tasting a patient’s urine was a chief diagnostic tool (to the extent that the urinal was an iconic for item for a physician in art and manuscripts). So yeah, that’s why it’s “mellitus” going way back in history.

I actually think that would be a fun category. We do get a fair number of threads that would fit, some of them highly amusing like this one:

I’ll suggest it to the mods and see what they think.

1 Like