D & d #10

Dialysis and Diabetes #10

Well this little blog post is way overdue. Post #9 was entered on June 9th and here it is July 15th. Where has the month plus gone?

I call this blog post dialysis and diabetes but I never seem to talk about the diabetes side of things. So let me rectify that right up front in this post.

I went to see my endo this past Friday (Friday the 13th no less) and I got some really good news. Not only had I lost 34 pounds my A1c was 5.4!
Looking back at my log over the last 3 months I don't see how I could have an A1c that low but who am I to argue with success.

The doctor also stopped my byetta. I don't really agree with the decision. They are taking me off it because it is contraindicated for people in End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). Even though I have been in ESRD for quite some time and still took the drug the doctors (2 out of 2 with the kidney doctor refusing to vote) are not sure how this the drug will act with me on dialysis. I told them I was doing really well with it but for some reason they refused to take that as an FDA approved drug trial :). So I have stopped the byetta and started a new drug called Tradjenta.

The doctor gave me some samples to try and as I was sitting in the restaurant eating lunch after the appointment I read the drug information the doctor had provided. Item number three on the list of information caught my eye. They have not studied this drug and its interaction with insulin. What? I guess I am doing a drug study after all. Or is Lantus not considered insulin? The doctors office closes early on Friday so they were already gone when I learned this little piece of information. Needless to say there will be a call to the office on Monday.

Now as to the dialysis, all is going well. There seems to be no effect on my BG levels as a result of sitting in that chair three times a week.

I have learned to take the time in "the chair" as a time to rest. My treatments are still four hours long. I sleep for a couple, surf the web with my iPad and watch some TV. Each chair has its own tv. All they have is basic cable but it is something to pass the time.

I also spend a lot of time there asking questions. How does the machine work? How is my treatment time and settings determined? When will my fistula be ready for use? The nurses and technicians who run my treatment have actually asked their bio-technician to spend some time with me because they can't answer some of my questions about the internal workings of the dialysis machine. Even though I have only been there for six weeks I the staff is treating me as an "old hand" at sitting in that chair. There have been times where I have caught errors and problems before they became a real issue. I even downloaded the operator's manual for the machine I am hooked up to so I know what all the settings are.

So live goes on. Like insulin this is but one more thing that I have to do to survive.

I would again like to thank all of those who read my posts. I hope they help in some way. Writing them certainly helps me.

Sparky, let us know what they tell you tomorrow about the drugs interacting. I guess you do need to read those things that come with the Rx. Of course I can see you wanting to know everything about the machine and how it works! (considering your line of work). another smart move to avoid any errors. thanks for sharing, your attitude is an inspiration. good going on the poundage and the a1c!

Glad to hear things are going well for you.

Now Sparky, no flirting with the staff!!!
I had two runs where the tech set the machine to take off NO fluid. So because of the rinse back, I left weighing more than when I came in. They thought it was no big deal and then called my doc and he said I had to come in the next day for another run because he didn't want to risk me getting overloaded.
Then, once, the tech punched in my dry weight as 5 kilos less than it was. Mid-run I was so ill that they knew something was wrong. We had one RN, who just sat at the station and did nothing. The rest were techs. He was supposed to do a complete foot exam every month for all the PWD's, but would only just come and put lotion on your toes. When he got promoted (yes, promoted) and a new nurse took his place, I was shocked by the thoroughness of testing pulses, going over every cm of skin, etc.
Loved seeing you on the b'day tribute!!

Hi there, it is good to hear that you're doing so well. Re your last paragraph, I always look forward to reading your posts. A1C of 5.4 -- now that's remarkable! So is your attitude. Best wishes.

This is my first time reading your blog and I am in awe of your positive attitude. Diabetes complications scare me, so I'm inspired when I read or meet someone who is dealing with them and still keeping their spirits up. Thank you for sharing. 5.4% is incredible! Good job on the weight loss!

Marps, I give all the credit to God. He has allowed me to keep my sense of humor through most of this. And believe me when I tell you that it hasn't all been fun. What you get is the version where I can sit there and look over what I typed. The doctors, nurses and staff of these places get the total unabridged version and there are times when it can get quite colorful.