"D" day for Obama Health Care--What does this mean to you?

Truly articulate discussion of something that so many do not seem to understand. I hate to seem negative, but you are not the only person who deserves to have access to health care. And you are right, you are paying, paying ~double what you should for health care.

It is time to join the rest of the developed world and create a medical system that has controls and is available to ALL, before health care becomes the highest per-capita cost in the US economy. That, I’m afraid, will be the thing that destroys the US economy if we don’t do something now.

As far as the original questions…

1. Not the version being voted on, only earlier versions.
  2. ALL Ds will be covered, finally, no matter what their situation.
  3. I hope so, so I say Yes.
  4. Yes, particularly about getting care as a T1D.

That is the point of the bill. Getting coverage equally to all, not scamming, not turn downs, no denials, just get the coverage.

“My point is I would say if you have paid for 10 years you should get services and medication as needed. The health care bill would call for my parents to die as they would cost too much for their plan.”

I see you never read any part of the previous versions that passed. This is not in any part the bill. The session that requires that a plan for the future discussion ‘will be covered’ which was in the house bill said nothing like what you said. That was a great line feed to the eager and naive public who are continually quoting inaccurate facts to appose universal health care.

Tanya, Medicare will pay for more strips with confirmation from your Endo. I’m Type 1 and I receive 22 boxes every 3 months. Now I don’t know if it makes a difference what type of secondary insurance you have…it might.

Sounds like you really do not understand the economics or health care and will not be putting the effort forth to learn so the is not point in arguing the issue of cost.

But put simply from a economic perspective, this bill will start cost controls and manage cost, get coverage for all and will prevent the cost of health care from killing the US economy.

Changing or starting something new is always a challenge and sometimes painful. It is time to cut to the chase and step up by implementing universal health care in the US.

you think so my mother told me just today on the phone that he PCP ask her if she had he final arrangements made as she will need them soon. If this passes she will no longer be able to see her without payment and although it will take some time for this to take effect that her treatments would no longer be covered and gave her some papers to back this up. So how long to take effect is the question?

You are correct there it is time to take all the money we pay to medicare and medicade in fact for all taxes from our checks except for Social Security and start up a medical system as that is how the money was intended to be used and then take all the money that is paid for insurance to stop the profit there and use it as well and limit what any doctor can charge period. I am not talking USSR here just put caps on it.

If you’re truly concerned/curious, here is the bill in it’s entirety:

http://docs.house.gov/rules/hr4872/111_hr4872_reported.pdf

During his press conference at 4:00pm today, when asked if they had enough votes to pass, Bart Stupak replied “we’re well past 216, yes”. 216 being the number of votes needed to pass.

1. The bill itself is over 2,000 pages of legal gobbledygook. Good Luck. You can read it if you like. CNN has posted it. I went to the League of Women Voters to see what their non partisan viewpoint was. They are for the healthcare bill. Again – it is still being revised so don’t think anything is a given.
  2. One issue is about insurance accepting new clients with pre-existing conditions like diabetes. The new healthcare bill would make it illegal to do that (discrimination). In listening to the debate today on TV I heard some boldfaced untruths and just plain trying to grandstand so I am not impressed with those against the bill. I want to hear specifics that apply to me as a diabetic and wife of a cancer survivor. All I hear is vague threats against my freedom? Please. Someone stand up for my rights to healthcare that doesn’t depend on what job I hold.
  3. Votes? who can tell.
  4. I have not contacted my congressperson.

Hi Christalyn, you have raised the right question: “Has anybody read this bill”, LOL. Still the debate gets very emotional, heated, confrontational, aggressive, dismissive and so forth. Some of the expressed concerns are severe and at the same time there is a dispute about the real effects of the bill. How can it be that public information about such an important reform is that sparse? Quite confusing from this side of the Atlantic.

I’ve read sections & am very anxious for the vote. The eyes of the world are on us on this one, aside from everyone in the US holding their breath.

I’m been writing & calling my congresspeople non-stop. I think they must know me by now:)

This is a link to a newsweek article that explains some of the cost control measures in the HCR. bill.http://www.newsweek.com/id/235246/page/1
The thing about bundled payments to hospitals already exists under Medicare- its called prospective payment system. Expanding to all-payers, will help keep hospitals from billing insurance for $4/pill tylenol.

John,

I don’t understand why you are so angry at me for posting an unbiased question.

I thought it was interesting that nobody has brought up the topic on this website that lives in the U.S. when it will affect everybody that is American on this site. So when it is brought up you felt it necessary to unload on me…gee thanks.

I am not here to get in a debate with any one person but just to start a conversation on a very important topic.

Yes… I did try to read portions of it and found it confusing.

This may sound stupid but what is the AMERICAN DREAM?

It means many things to very many people. I remember hearing this when I was younger and it meant having a house with a white picket fence around it. I am sure that is changed. Being in Los Angeles you are lucky to afford an apartment without roaches and have a manager that speaks English.

I have grown not to be worried about the AMERICAN DREAM. I am more concerned about CHRISTALYN’S DREAM and what I need to do to achieve it. If my dream encompasses parts of the “AMERICAN DREAM” then that is wonderful.

Thanks for writing!

It would help me out because I currently do not have insurance or a job and I don’t qualify for Medicaid but it doesn’t happen until to 2014! By that time I will probably have a job with my own health insurance …or I could be dead! ;0 I wish it would help people out now and not so far in the future. People who are waiting for insurance now could have serious issues that can not wait 4 years.

And just to add, this is the first time I have EVER been without insurance and had something serious happen to me that I couldn’t get help for. Doctors don’t want to have anything to do with you if you have something serious like diabetes and no insurance. Three years ago I had awesome health insurance and was making $55,000 a year.

So, I would be careful to dump on those less fortunate - you never you know how it feels until it happens to you. Just because someone has no health insurance doesn’t mean they are trying to get a free pass. Some of us want jobs and to pay our own way but there is nothing right now. I never thought I would be in this position myself but I am grateful for any help I have gotten - although it is still very tough.

Thank you!

I agree with 100%. Anchor babys are by-products of the 14th Amendment. If people actually read all the articles and notes that were taken while this amendment was being deliberated then they would know it wasn’t meant for future border babys but made the ancestors of slaves.

In Los Angeles there are so many hospitals and emergency rooms closing due to immigrants in the poor neighborhoods. I wonder how this bill will curtail that?

Thanks for writing.

There is no misconception. Most level headed people know this bill is not a very good document. Congress people should not have to be bribed with sweetheart deal to get anything passed no matter what side of the fence your stance is. This bill is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Alot of people what to believe this will help them but they will learn the truth if this passes.

Hiya Kim,
I was not trying make light on anyone that has such problems as I am currently with out any insurance that covers any of my problems so I have to pay everything out of pocket and it hurts as I have used up all my savings except $2.10. I have lost my business and work for someone as I can but due to problems that is not much I am glad it is a friend although I do not make much it has helped and will now be my sole support. My insurance payment is due on Monday so I will have none soon, but no matter it is one bill I will not have for no reason. I had a choice to make and it was med’s or insurance that is not paying guess who looses here? Me, lol, it is laugh or cry at this point. So I have a intrest in this bill but at what cost?

Nice try for promoting untruths Phill. Unfortunately, much of you argument is based on fallacies and a lack of understanding about how we got ourselves into an arrogant and fiscal credit card society, not just the government.

Have you ever been denied insurance because of you D? If not, think it over, we need to start somewhere and stop claiming “the medical care in the US is the best in the world…” Medical help for Ds in the US is not the best in the world, not even the top five!

With

Top Five our health care is not very good at all. Arguing is going to get us nowhere; it never has in the past. Yes I was denied insurance at first with many companies not just diabetes I have high blood pressure as well so the combination gets me denied or yes we can get you insurance like I have now very costly and covers very little but my family is covered. As of tomorrow I will be in the public health care system and hope for the best from it. In the USA something is only good if you can pay and that is how we got this way called greed. You can believe what you wish and I the same as that is one of the rights we have left in America. Just so you know my mother’s support group this was brought up and there is over 50 members they all got the same information. It says something like this:” If the health care bill passes since most of clients are over 65 and on Medicare I will have to close my practice as they will not want to pay for the necessary services but will assist you with end of life care.” True or false lots of already elderly dying women are even more worried than they should be at this time of their life and dealing with many medical issues. Last but not least she said and this is a direct quote “your dad has been trying to kill me for years now he voted in the current president and has finally done it.”

I like to preface my comment that I give my “opinion” as a woman, mother and diabetic. This issue hasn’t been in the making for the last year and a half nor even the last decade…but decadeS. This may not be exactly what I would have liked to see, but if this is not started now it will not be enacted under a Republican congress if they so happen to when back the majority in November. We cannot wait any longer.