Dawn Phenomenon

so i've been waking up in the middle of the night (2am) and testing my BS. very high. then wake up for breakfast (5am) use my bolus "WIZARD" to cover my meal and correction.BS post meal (2hours) is a little high still,(low 200s) but then the remainder of my day is perfect.

spoke with my endo this afternoon, and he made some changes in my basals to get rid of this DAWN thing. we'll see how it goes.ALSO note: my bedtime BSs are just fine. i seem to shoot up btw midnight and 2 or 3 am.

it was on this (forum) site that i learned about the DAWN thing, as in all my D yrs, i have never had it. Usually a bit insulin resistant in the am, but not waking up w/ BS like this.

anyone out there with this DAWN PHENONENOM and how do you deal with it?

any responces welcome!!!!

I have dawn phenomenon issues. I have my highest basal rate of the day set between 3:00 and 9:00 AM and have to use a lower I:C and correction ratio at breakfast.

The pump has helped a LOT with my morning blood sugar, and in fact is the biggest reason I went on the pump. When I was on Lantus the only way not to wake up at 11-17+ (200-300+)—going to bed with a normal blood sugar and having a normal one at 3:00 AM—was to wake up at 3:00 every morning and give myself a few units of Humalog. I was on a split dose of Lantus, giving myself 2/3 in the evening and 1/3 in the morning, and even that didn't help at all.

My dawn phenomenon is very extreme too. I get up around 2or 3 a.m. and my blood sugars are actually in a good range. When I get up at 7 or 8 a.m., they are sky high. I just started on the Animas Ping July 10, so I'm still adjusting. I keep increasing my basal rate starting at 4 a.m., and that seems to be helping. Judging by my readings, you'd think I was snacking overnight, but I'm not :)