Decided at last

hi friends ,
at last i have decided to purchase a new pump .and so i am going to purchase MEDTRONIC pump and a representative from MEDTRONIC visited my place and he showed me a number of pumps with details about that . but i am confused , which one to buy . the one with the sensor and CGM or the normal one . is CGM important and works fine for all ? which one is the best & latest in MEDTRONIC ? please help me out .and also let know about the cost .please…!

I don’t know about the cost, but when I got my pump last year, my insurance would not cover any of the cost of the CGM. The pump was covered :). I ended up getting an omnipod. If my insurance would cover a CGM, I would jump at the chance to get one, but that’s not considered ‘standard of care.’ poo.

The CGM can help with determining the patterns your body has through the day. For example, I have 4 different basal rates over the course of the day.

But I don’t think I would ever recommend to anyone that they pump for the first time and start using a CGM for the first time simultaneously. Having started pumping about a year ago, I can’t imaging trying to start using CGM at the same time. When you start using the CGM, there is a strong tendency to “chase the numbers” as opposed to watching the trends over time. It is going to take you a few months to really get your pumped tuned and get used to it, I think throwing the CGM into that would make the tuning more difficult.

The CGM is built into to the Minimed pumps, so you can get the sensors at a later date to start using that functionality. Also, your endo can hook you up to one in the office that you wear for a week and then they unhook it and analyze the results. That way you can get a look at your patterns without buying the sensors yourself (they are pricey, $35 each at full retail)

Anyway, good luck

I agree. I was on the pump for over a couple of years before I got my GCM and the new pump. If you get a letter from your endo stating that you have “hypo unawareness” and can back it up with documentation most insurance companies will approve the GCM. Its a battle though. Also I find the GCM to be inaccurate at times and most of my dangerous lows happen too quickly for the GCM to catch up. Quite often I get the incidence of “bad sensors” and have to spend many an hour on line with the 800-minimed help line…
Sheila

My wife has the Paradigm with CGM and I can tell you the CGM has saved her life. My wife has gone low in her sleep and once she has entered a low phase her logic is out the window. Fortunately her pump alarmed and woke me up and I managed to get her back up but it was definitely a scare.

I will say also she is very aggravated by the CGM waking her up many times a night when her levels drop below 70 but its worth the aggravation to us. The device is NOT perfect and will cause you to get angry with it throughout its use but its value outweighs the aggravation in our opinion.

Reading through the CGM forums has actually help reduce the problems we have had with the sensor by quite a bit. (i.e. best times to calibrate, accuracy issues, bad sensors, restarting, cal errors, ISIG, etc)

I use about 30-35 units of insulin a day, but chose the 722 because then I don’t need to fill the insulin cartridge as often and the insulin lasts fine for 10 days and because I plan to get the CGMS later and I thought the screen was bigger on the 722 (but i’m not sure if that is true or not).

I have heard very mixed reports about people using the Minimed CGMS. Some say it works for them, others not. So I would do a trial with the CGMS before you purchase it. I used it for 3 days and actually found it to be quite accurate for me. But I guess it could vary significantly from person to person.

Medtronic 722!
it’s good for starting off! when i went to the doctor and asked about the sensor they said like for kids/teens ages 7-25 they don’t wear the sensor because it’s so annoying and beeps alot! while my pump only beeps for the most part when my rez or batteray is low!