Delayed Stomach Issues with Byetta

I started Byetta about two and a half weeks and was thankful that I didn’t experience any side effects. Well, I guess the honeymoon is over because I’ve been nauseous for the last 3 days. And today it felt like there was a campfire burning in my stomach. TUMS and other antacids were no help either. For some reason diet coke seemed to help though. So I’ve decided to cut down to only one 5mg dose a day until I feel better. We’ll see how the rest of the week goes.

I’ve been on Byetta for about a year and a half. I did not experience immediate nausea, but over time I’ve had some problems. In the morning, when I have nothing in my stomach, I tend to be nauseous. Also, Byetta causes delayed stomach emptying, and it can get bad. The worst is exercising at night with a bloated stomach, lifting weights and feeling like I am going to blow chunks at any time. Also, I’ve gotten more and more acid reflux, sometimes bad at night. I’ve not found any way to deal with the morning problems, but I’ve found that not overeating helped the bloated heartburn symptoms. I try to eat smaller meals and more of them. An occasional bicarb has helped the heartburn. Hope you feel better.

thx for the suggestions BSC. the stomach pains were actually an acute pancreatitis attack so my endo took me off byetta. she wants me to try januvia instead so i’ll be going on that very soon.