Delayed Sugar Metabolism and Glucose Tablet Alternatives

Sarah - You reported that you treated a low during the night and three hours later, you didn’t see much movement of your glucose (55 > 60). That prompted you to treat again and then your glucose skyrocketed.

I have been challenged in the last few years with similar experiences. My CGM would wake me up to dropping below 65 or even at the urgent low level of 55. I treat and the CGM subsequently alerts, again and again. I try to not overdo my glucose treatments with the fear of rebounding hyper. It seems like I treat, still low, treat, still low, treat – way too high!

What finally worked for me was backing off on the overnight basal rates. Often times these rates have been working perfectly well for a considerable time. Once the basal rates were reduced, it fixed the problem but I then had to restore the old rates within a few days due to rising overnight BGs. In my case it appears that my insulin sensitivity went higher (needed less insulin) for a few days and then settled back into its former pattern.

This situation also taught me that basal lows are different than bolus lows. Bolus lows from over-correcting or using a too aggressive insulin to carb ratio can usually be treated with a glucose tab or two and often not require a follow-up glucose dose.

Basal lows are stubborn to treat and require repeated glucose treatments with the final treatment driving me into hyper range. It’s like: not enough, not enough, too much!

I’m not sure if this is what’s happening to you but your description is similar to my symptoms.

2 Likes

Like Terry4, my basal lows are so difficult to treat. But the bolus lows seem to be more dangerous because of the quickness of the low. Its the rapid drop that can send me to my knees. Of course a piece of fruit and cottage cheese corrects it easily.

But a basal low, goodness they are tough.

Yes these are definitely basal lows. I am good at dialing these in, but there are certain times of the month when you are a fertile woman, that things have to be increased significantly and then things get volatile. One night I’ll need an extra 30-40% basal, the next maybe only 10%, then the third night might go back to 30-40%. It’s a bit of a free-for-all and happens about 7-10 days out of the month so…. Not to put too fine a point on it. I know not every woman experiences this, but I surely do.

Not enough, not enough, too much is the exact description. :wink:

Grateful for so many thoughtful responses here!

Sarah

1 Like

Thanks Marie! I am one who doesn’t tolerate any corn (citric acid is like the bane of my existence, it’s in so many things). But the ginger is a great tip! And might also be helpful for the occasional amusement park trip. :wink:

Sarah

1 Like

Can you tolerate dairy? If so then a glass or even half a glass of milk will treat a low BG for me just like a juice box would. I like to doctor it with a little bit of sugar free chocolate syrup and nothing on the label jumps out at me as being from corn.

Same here but after I went on to the tandem X2 with control IQ that pretty much disappeared :partying_face:.

1 Like

No dairy for me unfortunately. :confused:

Thanks Firenza!

You are the one who should be giving me advice on how to deal with insulin sensitivity shifts!

Whenever my blood sugar remains below 60 for more than 20 minutes or so, I find the post-treatment trend is one that over-reacts to the hyper end. I assume it is due to the counter-regulatory hormones like cortisol and adrenaline being provoked by the sustained low. I’ve also observed that not only must I deal with the hyper glucose levels, my insulin sensitivity is degraded for a few hours. In other words, I become highly insulin resistant.

I’ve also observed that not only must I deal with the hyper glucose levels, my insulin sensitivity is degraded for a few hours. In other words, I become highly insulin resistant.

SAME. Glad it’s not just me Terry4! :wink:

@Sarah_K1- I just found this on corn intolerance and medical stuff. It is worse than wheat intolerance by far.

1 Like

@Sarah_K1 – I became aware recently that Dr. Bernstein recommends mixing up pure dextrose powder with water and storing in a small container to treat lows. I looked on Amazon and found this product.

It is made of pure dextrose without any citric acid, preservatives, or food dyes. It’s gluten-free and non-GMO. I just ordered this product and will give it a go. I’m wondering if it might speed up hypo treatments.

Thanks Terry4! I will contact them to determine the source. Most dextrose comes from corn as well.

1 Like

Thanks Luis, yes I have referred to this list many times. It’s a good refresher though, so thank you for posting it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t know that! I understand it can be made from a starch. Seems like there would be at least some comparable product made without corn.

I just can’t stand it that I can’t find non dextrose glucose tablets. I’m a questing type person.

I use Hammer Gel - Carbohydrate Energy Gel | Hammer Nutrition
available on-line or at most bike stores.

These are the fastest reliable glucose I’ve found. I don’t usually use them in the middle of the night but they might be worth a try.

Unfortunately I do know that almost all glucose, dextrose type gels/syrups are usually derived from corn. It’s the cheapest and easiest source for these things. Huma gel might be the closest with brown rice syrup and cane sugar but has citric acid. I suppose there might be a gel out there that doesn’t but it’d be a hunt.

Hello Sarah, 3 suggestions

1. consider using your expired Glucagon - mix up a vial & use an insulin syringe to give yourself a “mini dose” (you can do a Google search to read articles about this). I use 5 to 10u & am pleased with the quickness of response & usually get about 20-40 points of rise.
  2. a friend gets glucose powder from Amazon & takes small doses of just 3 grams.
  3. many folks have noticed a more rapid rise if the glucose source is kept in the mouth & moistened with a bit of water.
    Good luck, home some of these suggestions from readers work for you.

There is glucose made from potato, rice and wheat starch. I just can’t find a source. I just asked asked a question on Nutricost’s web site. I will report back if I get an answer.