Dental complications and gum disease

This summer I spent six long weeks in pain. Broke a tooth eating corn nuts (I KNEW that I shouldn't have purchased that from the vending machine) and went through the process and expense of a crown only to end up begging/demanding that the tooth be pulled.

The experience finally opened my eyes to reality, and I really DO CARE about having diabetes. My blood glucose readings are much better, and physically and mentally I am better. My choices are not perfect, but at least I am thinking about what I'm doing. Have also lost over ten pounds.

Have had gum disease most of my life, but I am once again back into taking care of my teeth and gums. Next periodontal cleaning is in January. Would be nice if there were some noticeable improvement in my dental care when I see the hygenist again. I'm trying. That's the first and next step rolled into one.

Unfortunately, gum disease and diabetes go hand in hand. They are like a vicious circle, the gum infection causes higher blood sugars and the higher blood sugars feed the infections. I floss and brush 2-3 times a day, use a proxy brush and an oral irrigator in the evening. I also will regularly use a mouthwash, alternating between an alcohol free one and hydrogen peroxide.

Despite this, it is an ongoing battle.

What do you do?

I brush twice a day and use a water flosser and use floss at night. Also use a prescription rinse for gingivitis (chlorhexadine gluconate, I think) at night.

I still have an argument with myself every single night telling myself that I'm too tired tonight and just need to go to bed. It is a slow process learning a new habit, but more and more frequently I can win the mental battle. Oh, I know -- this is something I should have been doing for 60+ years; but I've only done a poor half way job. I'm moving foward now.

Yes dental health and diabetes go hand in hand. I had quite a bit of trouble when my bg were out of control. Well done for getting sorted.

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job caring for your teeth. In addition to disease processes, the mere fact of aging, different medications etc. cna also contribute the status of oral health. I wish my patients spent as much time concerned for their mouths as you do!