Dexcom and Medicare

So my wife and I were traveling for about three weeks. Since we got home I’ve been a little under the weather. So I guess I missed something important. I was due for my automatic sensor shipment from Dexcom yesterday and I hadn’t heard anything. I called today to check on it. That’s when I found out Medicare will not let Dexcom sell these to customers on Medicare. Dexcom is supposed to wait until Medicare releases their guidelines for coverage. So now, not only will Medicare not cover me for the Dexcom, they are preventing me from buying them on my own. I have a valid prescription. I just don’t quite see the logic in this. Maybe somebody here can enlighten me. Please.

I think it is because Dexcom is not an authorized Medicare supplier. My understanding is that you can buy G4 from Dexcom because it is not covered by Medicare, So if you only need sensors, maybe you can order “G4” sensors. If you need a G5 transmitter, you’re in trouble. You can always call Liberty and see if they will accept your order.

Thanks Laddie and I will keep this in mind. It still makes no sense to me that if Medicare won’t cover me for sensors why I can’t provide them for myself. I like you idea for the G4 sensors. I’m good on transmitters for awhile.

Support First Responders

1 Like

What is also frustrating about this is that the self-pay cost at Liberty is much higher than the deals that Dexcom offered. Our whole medical system is so screwed up…

I’ve been looking into DexCom. Medicare approved DexCom…nationally. Now states need to approve stuff for coverage.

It’s frustrating. Sorry.

Logic? Government? You’re kidding, right?
I have a similar issue after switching to Medtronics. Buying thru Medicare, cost is almost $600 per box of 5.Then, after they submit all the paperwork, Medicare rejects the claim and that’s what they charge me. “That;s the Medicare contracted price”. If that;s the best deal Medicare can negotiate, they ARE stupid.

Cash deal, buy direct, $276. Not cheap, but tolerable and at least I can get them. I spend quite a bit of time out at sea, so I really need a CGM of some sort.