Dexcom ceasing sale G4 and G5

Dexcom is retiring Dexcom G4 PLATINUM and Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM Systems

In June 2020, Dexcom will discontinue the sale of transmitters for the Dexcom G4 PLATINUM and Dexcom G5 Mobile Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) Systems. We will not be able to guarantee the availability of Dexcom G4 PLATINUM or Dexcom G5 Mobile sensors beyond the end of this year.

As of June 30, 2020, we will no longer support the Dexcom Share 2 app and it will cease to function. Further, Dexcom Studio will no longer be available for download and we will discontinue support for the software on December 31, 2020.

We want our customers to experience the latest in CGM technology and invite you to learn about Dexcom G6, our latest generation CGM system. You can find more information at https://provider.dexcom.com/products/personal-cgm

1 Like

:neutral_face: Not the best timing to announce it!

3 Likes

Their 3rd & 4th quarter financials should be an interesting read. Between shutdowns & layoffs & so many losing their health insurance, I would imagine sales will take a hit.

Agreed. That may be why they are timing it this way; manufacturing and supporting multiple versions of a product is expensive for them. Paring down to one in the market and one in R&D would streamline their business and cost them less, so if they need to reduce their own workforce they can still serve their customers.

1 Like

Why does it feel like Dexcom made this decision without gathering the advice or sentiment from their customers? There are many of us trying to use up our remaining CGM supplies. Cutting me off from the Share 2 app means cutting off the glucose data stream required by Loop.

I’ve been transitioning to acquire G6 supplies for the last few months and I will be able to cope but for many others a three-month notice is rather abrupt. Dexcom CEO, Kevin Sayer, says all the right things when speaking to us on various podcasts but this action seems hasty.

Edited to add: I’ve been doing some reading on the Looped Facebook group. It looks like I may be mistaken about my conclusion that Dexcom’s pulling the plug on the Share 2 app will mean my current Loop setup will cease to work. That may not be true. I need to learn more.

5 Likes

A lot of us might be scrambling for G5 transmitters later this year. It would be a shame to see all the stockpiled sensors out there not get used.

I guess this was inevitable but it would help a lot of people out if they keep selling G5 transmitters through year end.

3 Likes

Agreed!

1 Like

I am sitting here with 5 G5 sensors if anyone wants to contact me with info on where to send them. Finally got my G6 this week. My transmitter died in Jan.

Bonnie, I would be delighted to take those sensors off your hands. I rely heavily on my DeX right now.

What a bunch of idiots. In the middle of a pandemic they decide to pull this crap. Dexcom you are a disgrace!