Dexcom G6 - Sensor Error Wait up to 3 hours

Hi,

I don’t have a receiver, just using my phone.

Welcome to the forum @supertones! I saw you mention you’re from Canada. Nice to have another Canadian :canada: - not enough of us here.

What part of the country are you living in?

1 Like

Hi Jim. I am in BC.

2 Likes

Alright. Received my replacement transmitter today. It is still a 81xxxx SN so hopefully that not a problem. Going to try it out in a few hours. My original problem still happens 100% of time. Number heads past 8 towards 9 and then get sensor error, wait up to 3 hours. I’ll update with the results. Haha, nervous as I really want this to resolve my problem. As an aside, I tried installing xDrip app (seems awesome) and got same issue. I am pretty sure I’ll go with xDrip over Dexcom app if I get my issue sorted out.

1 Like

Put the new transmitter in last nigh:grinning:t and am just now seeing the number 10.5 which the original sensor never ever ever would go that high without giving sensor error. I am going to go with the fact that it was the transmitter all along. I’ll wait a few days to be absolutely sure but I’ll definitely be calling tech support to let them know as this seems to be out of their realm of possibility.

Want to thank ever one of you that weighed in on this! :grinning:

4 Likes

The thing with Dex is that they have rapidly released bunches and bunches of models of transmitters with different firmware. Its most likely a manufacturing error. They need to know about it.

1 Like

I will definitely be phoning them with my feedback. They had me going in circles and never once thought changing out the transmitter would help. The supervisor tried to blame everything but and finally gave up at my persistence.

2 Likes

They used to be really good about tracking these failures. They would take apart the sensors and identify the source of the problem. I don’t think they do that anymore. I’ve actually never heard of a transmitter failing before. The Dex workers in Texas say that they moved all their manufacturing somewhere else. These types of failures might be more common now as a side effect. Its good you brought it up to them. Thats the responsible thing to do. What they do with that information is up to them, but you did what you could to help them. Thanks for taking the time to call them and talk to them about it.

1 Like

@supertones Any chance the error is due to too high of a rate-of-change of your bg? Did u discuss that possibility with Dexcom?

In December 2017 Dexcom initiated a new production facility in Arizona, which has had problems and has them still - specifically, random week-long inability to produce sensors. (This was one of the hidden causes of Dexcom falsely claiming that Medicare had not approved G6; rather, they forced Medicare, as well as all medical organizations accepting Medicare, to sign a contract with themselves not to cover G6.) Given this, it’s not surprising that their sensor (and likely transmitter) production quality and consistency has been lacking.

Hi @Dave44,

I talked them into sending me a new transmitter and once installed, works as advertised. Day 4 with not a single sensor error.

7 Likes

awesome! I missed your previous post mentioning success. doing too many things here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Confirmed then: it couldn’t POSSIBLY be the transmitter, that just doesn’t happen. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yes, I get the same issue. I thought it was because I restarted my sensor. Not very reliable IMO. What if it was integrated in a pump? That would pretty much make the self regulating pump not very accurate as it would rely on sensor readings.

I had a similar issue in January. Used 2 sensors on transmitter (81x) that initially worked fine. Was out of town, limited sensors with me, so called Dexcom. They sent new transmitter (8Gx) and 2 sensors, arrived next day. Problem solved.

1 Like

We had the dreaded “wait up to 3 hours” on day 7 the other day. Ended up putting on a new sensor. As usual, they just sent a new one without asking many questions about it.

We have had one transmitter fail on us but we had a spare but was a pain because the sensor had only been on for a few days.

1 Like

I had my first 3 sensors on G6 continually fail with the 3 hour message. DexCom replaced 2 of them and for some reason they transferred my call to Tandem, who replaced the third one.

What I didn’t realize was that all three sensors were the same lot number. Sensor #4 is a different lit number. No 3 hour nonsense yet, but I still get maybe 1-2 “out of range errors” when the t:slim is at most 4” away from the transmitter.

Fingers crossed that I start liking the G6 eventually. I tried Control-IQ for three weeks, but it continually allows me to go way high (300+) and then crashes me down into the 60’s. Gave up on Control-IQ.

I’m only on my 2nd Dexcom sensor ever, and both were fine up until day 7 or 8 at which point I’ve been getting “Sensor error” a couple times a day (for 45 min, then back on for 30 minutes, then failed for another 45 min etc). Was hoping it would resolve itself, but I guess I’ll call them and ask for a new one.

Curious, Bridgesbunch, did it continue to happen to around day7/8 with any future sensors? Not sure if my sensor site is just fatiguing, or why it would happen now (site looks good, nothing else changed).

Would love to know what things might trigger it? My guesses:
-blood glucose was in flux and “high” once (15mmol/270), but not always
-vigorous dance workout beforehand a few times (but looks securely attached to abdomen)
-dehydration? (suggested by Dexcom last time, and I did workout)

Any Dexcom user ideas appreciated!

@supertones @Tim12 @Timothy

I usual have this happen a couple a times on the day before and the day the sensor is due to end. No rhyme or reason sometime heading high , some time low . But it doesn’t happen with every sensor.

1 Like

You most likely have a bad batch of sensors. I have a very low BMI and this happens periodically for me and when 1 in a box of 3 is bad, oftentimes another 1 or 2 others in the same box are as well. I have plenty of backup stock from when I converted from G5 to G6 so just terminate them early at the 7-8 day mark when that happens as by day 9-10 it just gets too frustrating. You may want to restart a few good ones if you do not have a reserve so that you can build a reserve. I have mixed luck with calling Dexcom and since I work long hours 7 days a week is not cost-effective for me to call them to replace a sensor. Sometimes it is like pulling teeth to get a replacement and other times they will gladly send you 1/2 a dozen.
I believe there is now also an online form to request a replacement, so you may not even need to call.

1 Like