First 24 hours on new sensor; wacky readings?

still relatively new to my Dexcom (about 8 months). wanted to know if other people experience this problem: does it take a while for the sensor to start to accurately read your BG levels (or at least as closely as a sensor can read your levels)??

all answers and thoughts and support very much appreciated. anxious and frustrated.

PS: this is my 4th sensor today. hit a capillary (lots of blood) , pain after insertion, way crazy readings besides calibrations (i.e., dex reading 380, finger stick 159, calibrated afterwards 3 times every 15 minutes, but finally gave up and called dex tech support.)

thank you TuD family,
Daisy Mae

Iā€™ve been on the Dexcom about 9 months and the first 24 hours is always inaccurate to some degree. I called Dexcom once about my sensor reading HI (above 22.2 mmol/L or 400 mg/dl) when my fingerstick said 11.2 mmol/L (203 mg/dl). They said being that inaccurate was ā€œnormalā€ for the first 24 hours. I did the three callibrations over 15 minutes and after that it was within 20 percent.

Four sensors? Way to keep trying and not give up. That is quite a struggle. I would have given up. So thanks for sharing that champion roll model experience. I put on the sensor and assume itā€™s accurate. I may have checked long ago to establish that confidence level.

thanks for the vote of confidence. i felt like crying all day long. i even felt guilty about calling Dexcom, despite them being so helpful and kind to me. all i feel now if frustration and lots of prayers. my entire thigh is killing me from the previous insertion sites. its at these time that i do want to give up w/ the cgm. it is a constant battle for me, but i value it so very much.

Yeah, thatā€™s why I enjoy your posts. We share a desperation, a living of life at the end of our ropes, a very reasonable decision it would be to quit, give up, one that sadly people make. But weā€™re better together.

Maybe your thigh isnā€™t a good location ( my entire thigh is killing me from the previous insertion sites) ??

i have experienced this problem with other locations as well. i feel like a human pincushion sometimes. :cry: but thanks for the excellent and appropriate suggestion. i am not giving up yet. i love my dexcom way too much to pack it away.

1 Like

This post is about sensors, not pump infusion sites. i must have not represented myself clearly, b/c all that have responded wrote about infusions rather than their sensors.

[quote]This post is about sensors, not pump infusion sites. i
must have not represented myself clearly, b/c all that have responded
wrote about infusions rather than their sensors.[/quote]

Iā€™m confused. No one here has mentioned infusion sets?

jen,

its my own fault. i posted another site about *sensors but most of the responses were about infusion sets/and pump issues. i was confused as to why i was getting such strange comments regarding the topic.

thanks for pointing this discrepancy out to me. my apologies.

Have you ever tried above your belly button? Iā€™m also very lean, and (not to toot my horn) Iā€™ve got some nice abs (toot! toot!), but I have a little pad of fat a few inches above my belly button. Iā€™ve only used that area for a sensor once, as I like to use my thigh so I can tape a bag around my leg to shower, but it worked well.

Iā€™m no longer ā€˜very leanā€™ (or even very much lean! heh), but I like sites that are actually in leaner spots, to the side, higher than my belly or even up near my armpit. I find those area work well for me and donā€™t seem to give me as many false-lows when I exercise (a problem I had frequently with belly sites). An added bonus for me is that those sites are also places I wouldnā€™t think of using for infusion sets, so I just rotate back and forth with sensors there.

donā€™t those areas get pushed on while you are sleeping, etc? and arenā€™t getting bumped about when you move your arm around?

Occasionally, I suppose, but I usually donā€™t have problems with them. I do tend to favor sleeping on the side opposite the sensor (wherever it is), but thatā€™s because I sleep on a water mattress and it blocks the signal.

so are you limited to sleeping only on one side per sensor as you rotate? iā€™ve never even heard of
someone sleeping on a water bedā€¦at least not since the 70s.

Well. ā€¦ I bought it in the 90s, bit donā€™t want to change. Not a full ā€œwaterbedā€ but it amounts to the same thing.

Iā€™m not exactly limited, but try and stay off the sensor, so it wonā€™t be blocked. In fairly ā€œdisciplinedā€ in my sleep habits, so it isnā€™t a problem for me. I find it more of a problem if I happen to sleep on an infusion site, so I try and keep those away from sleep pressure points.

HEY! I had a waterbed all the way up to the late 90ā€™s. Watch it!! :slight_smile:

Because my right arm (front, high up) seems to be the ONLY frickinā€™ spot on my body that Iā€™ve tried in the last 9 months that works, and because I tend to sleep with my right arm at right angles to my body, and sleeping on the right side quite often, Iā€™ve recently learned to put my arm under a pillow at all times when sleeping in that fashion. Iā€™ve had quite a few sensors in that location literally die if I slept on that arm w/o cushioning from a pillowā€“either my wifeā€™s head, or myself, has wrecked sensors in that arm. I HATE when that happens.

after 2 days of my sensor/transmitter being completely impossible to calibrate, i finally took the darn sensor off and put on a new one. the old one also was causing me some discomfort, feeling like i was having little needles shocking my nerves. I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS. i sleep on my right side, so i use my left side for my sensors and my right side for my pump infusion sites. the infusion never ever bothers me. thank God. i hear of a lot of people having problems w/ their pump sites. for me, its just the damn sensor sites that drive me crazy. i am seriously considering putting it on my left arm next time i change it. i will need my husbands help, though, particularly putting on the tegaderm.

however, i donā€™t need to worry about a waterbed. my mattress is as firm of foam as it could get.

I kept our waterbed quite a few years longer than I should have. it was very difficult to get out of!