Dexcom G7 Now FDA Approved

Dexcom release:

It’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for… the FDA has officially cleared the Dexcom G7 Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) System, and we wanted our Dexcom Warriors to be some of the first to know! We are so excited to show you the next step in CGM technology. Dexcom G7 can make diabetes management powerfully simple with a small, all-in-one wearable sensor and a completely redesigned mobile app, with features inspired by you.

*Dexcom G7 can complete warmup within 30 minutes, whereas other CGM brands require up to an hour or longer.
†For a list of compatible devices, visit dexcom.com/compatibility
BRIEF SAFETY STATEMENT Failure to use the Dexcom G7 Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (G7) and its components according to the instructions for use provided with your device and available at CGM Safety Information | Dexcom | Dexcom and to properly consider all indications, contraindications, warnings, precautions, and cautions in those instructions for use may result in you missing a severe hypoglycemia (low blood glucose) or hyperglycemia (high blood glucose) occurrence and/or making a treatment decision that may result in injury. If your glucose alerts and readings from the G7 do not match symptoms, use a blood glucose meter to make diabetes treatment decisions. Seek medical advice and attention when appropriate, including for any medical emergency.

9 Likes

But the million dollar question is will it work with the Omnipod 5 and will they finally get around to making a lot more cell phones capable of working with other phones? Or will they try to excuse themselves with “well, you know it takes the FDA so much time to approve” blah blah

4 Likes

the multi billion dollar question is when will Medicare approve it?

7 Likes

The two most-important G7 questions for me are:

• Will the G7 be compatible with DIY Loop?

• When will US Medicare approve it?

I cast a cursory glance to two FaceBook groups, Looped and CGMitCloud Off Topic for answers. Looped pointed at CGMitCloud Off-Topic for answers and they in turn linked to a GitHub site.

At the GitHub site I learned that a few users are successfully using a Dev version of Loop with the G7. That’s good news to me. The Dev version is where most of the kinks get worked out by more experienced users before a standard version is released for users like me. Good news. I just need to be patient.

And patience is likely the key attribute that is needed while waiting for US Medicare. In the meantime, I’m happy to have a reasonable supply of G6 sensors and transmitters that I will ultimately parlay into a reasonable comfort bump of G7 supplies. I anticipate my starting on the G7 well after most users.

7 Likes

My most important question is how far out the expiration dates are. G7 shelf-life is the limit on how big big a stash of G6 sensors to keep (currently about 3 1/2 months).

3 Likes

And how long it takes for insurance to cover G7 under pharmacy formulary. And pump integration.

If higher cost for G7, I may just stay with G6.

4 Likes

Maybe not the only two questions:

1 Like

G6 was my first. I’ve always thought it was awesome and I was so confused about all the people clinging to the G5 at the time. But now that I’m hesitantly side-eyeing the G7 myself, I suddenly get it!

Not only no restarts, but it’s not compatible with Xdrip. I don’t know if that’s a temporary thing while they figure out the coding, or if Dexcom has succeeded in blocking 3rd party apps

6 Likes

Ah, the life of a diabetic. Often a life laden with a generous helping of paradoxes and mysteries. Now you see it, now you don’t. Now you get it, now you don’t. Certainly makes life interesting when not challenging. Never despair; better is always on the horizon.

3 Likes

I will be staying with G6 as long as I can!! Will refill my current RXs to get sensors and transmitter before year end.

I rely on xdrip for my watch and restarts to keep lower costs.

2 Likes

There has been talk about capping medical device costs the way Medicare did with insulin. Maybe next session this goes thru for private policies. They push that stuff thru Medicare first as a precedence before hitting private policies. This is coming very slowly down the pipeline.

1 Like

Great! I’ve been looking forward to it.

John

I was told by a Dexcom rep that the G7 will not be compatible with the OmniPod 5 “anytime soon.” He did not think the discussion between Insulet and Dexcom had even started. I will stay with the G6 for now, and I will let others get the “bugs” worked out of the whole G7 system.

2 Likes

So that article is circa 2013-ish, maybe earlier, and obviously Dexcom and Insulet did NOT break up. That’s no indication of how long it will take O5 to become compatible with G7. Not sure if that’s @Rphil2 's sense of humor or accidental overlook, but hate to see anyone who doesn’t actually read the article get worked up over it and the fate of their Omnipods…

It’s funny to read about the future of a single-site pod/infusion set and CGM sensor combo being just a few years away, and still not even in successful testing stages yet.

No it was an mis read, i am so embarrassed. I will remove it.

2 Likes

I am so sorry folks , i misread it.

Here is a more recent article, i promise

Dexcom quashes talk of Insulet merger | Drug Delivery Business News

1 Like

But i do appreciate your acknowledgement of my strange sense of humor., my sense of humor is pretty wild, but not so wild as to try to convince people a 2014 news item is current.

Nope a complete mistake.

3 Likes

Here is another take on the issue

This says the g7 will interact with the Omnipod 5

“ * Insulin pump integrations— Like the G6, G7 will continue integrating with Tandem’s Control IQ, Omnipod DASH, and the recently FDA-approved Omnipod 5. Dexcom is also working with Lilly and Novo Nordisk on collaborations with their smart insulin pens for those who prefer multiple daily injections (MDIs).”

4 Likes

That would be the 27, no?

Right now with the G6 I am getting typically 20 days with one restart and use a separate receiver, which is not my favorite but I don’t like using a phone or tethered iWatch. I hear a 14 day sensor life and direct to iWatch is coming to the G7, which call me cynical but I think is all marketing to increase initial revenues from sensors and the new separate receiver? Probably wait until that happens to change over.

1 Like