DEXCOM Marketing

DEXCOM is up and running with Medicare. Their marketing info is incomplete and caused me to rethink the product when I got the “kit”.

1. Buried in the MANY brochures and inserts is the only contraindication for use…Tylenol (ibuprofen). I have a LOT of joint and muscle problems and Tylenol is the only pain reliever my (many) orthopods suggest. It should be DISCLOSED BEFORE you order.

2. The “kit” includes a glucometer. Anybody who orders a DEXCOM unit already has a glucometer. The don’t tell you if other meters will suffice. I imagine the glucometer manufacturer pays a lot of money to give its glucometer away (to sell strips). I get my strips from the VA and doubt these strips are available and I would guestat’s a problem with many insurance plans as well. My guess is ANY glucometer will do.

You’re right. Tylenol is contraindicated with Dexcom G4 and G5 CGMs. While it can’t help you now, the G6 system, expected release later this year, does not have this problem. This is something that your prescribing doctor could have caught.

The reason for the Dexcom Medicare kit with the included glucose meter is driven from Medicare’s requirements. Dexcom did not include glucometers with any prior offering.

I’m also sensitive to the marketing hype of many corporations. I’ve dealt with Dexcom for almost nine years now and have found them to be fair and responsive.

Good luck with sorting out your needs. It makes it tough to be dealing with diabetes and chronic pain.

1 Like

Tylenol and Ibuprofen have different active ingredients. Ibuprofen should not affect your Dexcom readings. They’re totally different drugs. Only Tylenol is contraindicated for use with a Dexcom.

Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory, so it may work better for muscle and joint pains. I personally prefer Ibuprofen over Tylenol.

I strongly suggest you use the included meter. You may not be familiar with it, you may have never used it, but trust me it is a fantastic meter for accuracy and repeatability. Just use it

I don’t use the included meter. Mine didn’t even come with a meter- just the receiver. I just use the meter my insurance covers. It works well for me.

I didn’t know Dexcom shipped the G5 w/o a meter.

I didn’t know they shipped it with a meter. Maybe it’s only for those on Medicare? What type of meter?

perhaps. Contour Next One.

Ah, that is a good one.

[]

katers87

March 5

I didn’t know they shipped it with a meter. Maybe it’s only for those
on Medicare? What type of meter?

Visit
Topic
or reply to this email to respond.

Ascensia Contour NEXT ONE. It does upload sugars but
it doesn’t have the functionality I’d like in a meter: entering est.
carbs and bolus.

The Contour Next One is a horrible meter! I’d rather use the one that came with my PUMP…a Contour Next One!!

1 Like

[]

Timbeak48
Type 1 or LADA

March 6

The Contour Next One is a horrible meter! I’d rather use the one that
came with my PUMP…a Contour Next One!!

Visit
Topic
or reply to this email to respond.

This doesn’t make sense.

Joke. Contour Next One meters are ubiquitous and accurate.

1 Like

My 551 Medtronic pump came with a Contour Next Link meter. A meter whose screen is impossible to see in bright daylight but still just as accurate as the Contour Next One or the Contour Next EZ