Dexcom & Tylenol?

I saw on the MM site a comparison of the three main CGMs and it said that you could not take Tylenol with the Dexcom. Does anyone know why that would be and/or if it is really true?
Doesn’t make sense to me but I would need to know before getting a cgm since I do take Tylenol.
Thanks.

I use Dexcom. I switched from Tylenol (acetaminophen is the name of the drug) to Advil (ibuprofen). Both drugs are equally effective and you should try Advil and see if it’s the same for you.

I have hears that Tylenol affects the reading with the Decxcom as it changes the interstitial fluid composition, and the Dexcome is sensitive to this change. I do not use a CGM, I have only heard this.

What? Tylenol PM is my favorite drug. This would be a big bummer for me if I decide to go with a CGM. This is the only drug that can put me to sleep, when I need it, without any side affects.

Currently I have the omnipod and I was waiting for the dex to me integrated with it.

Yep, this is completely and unfortunately true. Dex is only CGM that is so affected.

Thanks for the replies. I still don’t know why Dexcom, and not the others, is affected. Must be some weird chemical mix. I rely on Tylenol pm (just 1) to sleep at night. I will see if there is an equivalent Advil pm. But I do see how some arthritics depend on Tylenol so that would be a problem for them.
I am interested in the Dexcom because all personal reports on this and other sites seem to give it the highest marks for accuracy and ease of use. I use MM pump and do not want to go with their cgm, even the new one.
There is always something!! thanks again.

You do realize that the “PM” component is simply benadryl, right? It’s actually not a very good practice to use Tylenol PM to fall asleep unless you REALLY need the pain relief as well… Tylenol can be damaging to the liver.

Just FYI but it is really not the best of ideas to take an OTC ‘PM’ drug on a regular basis. If you have frequent problems falling/staying asleep you would serve yourself well to have that investigated with your Dr. Often sleep issues are a sign of more significant problems that need to be addressed. Just IMO.

For years, my best friend took one Tylenol PM each night to sleep. She insisted that she could not sleep without it. She recently switched to a natural product called Calm; it is simply magnesium plus calcium. She swears by it and is off the PM.

To dep: I do not want to take a prescription drug. I am willing to search other methods. So far, this helps me to stay asleep and not wake at 4 am recalling ‘doomsday’ dreams. One endo told me that in her experience lots of diabetics have these kinds of dreams. They involve some bad situation where there is no way out! Then my sleep is shot for that night. but the one Tylenol pm, at my MD’s suggestion, has really helped that.

I am now on the dexcom and love it but as for tylenol it does throws it out of whack, My Trainer advised me of that. I take Hydocodoen (Vicodin) and its made of of alot of tylenol. I take it rarely now for a back injury and when I do it jumps the reading by 200 or so then goes to the ??? mode. A couple hours later it gets back to normal after recalibratiing it as stated earlier. If I had this a couple months ago while taking the meds around the clock this would have been unusable. Not sure why this hasn’t been fixed by now.

I’m not sure how fixable this is unless Dexcom starts all over. The enzyme they use on the sensor interacts with Tylenol. Other CGMS use a different reagent to measure the interstitial sugar.

I’m on a trial of Dexcom now. So far I really like it.

Diana

Okay, so it is now three and a half years later, and I have some anecdotal news for you...

I am undergoing some pretty intense back surg in a week and a half, so my neurosurgeon wanted me to stop all anti-inflammatory meds (I've been taking several Ibuprofens a day for quite some time). His only option really was to give me a scrip for Vicodin, and we all know they contain a good deal of acetaminophen. I told him that was fine: of course, my Dex would be adversely affected, but I could just do without it for the few weeks leading up to my surgery, and whatever time it takes to heal up and stop the Watsons post-operatively.

So, I filled the scrip and decided to take one but leave my sensor on, just to see how much things went haywire when the acetaminophen hit my system. And...

NOTHING HAPPENED.

That's right, not a thing. The acetaminophen in the pills did NOTHING to disturb my Dexcom G4 system IN ANY WAY. I was a little stunned that I was seeing that the medication had no effects on my CGM, especially since I inadvertently took a Tylenol once when I had the 7+, and it went crazy within minutes of me taking it! I watched my Dex pretty closely for two days, taking my bgs whenever I looked at the Rx for a number. It was entirely undisturbed bythe Vicodins -- readings were all spot on.

I called Dexcom and spoke to a rep for a few minutes about this. She mentioned that they have been working on making acetaminophen less impactful on their systems, but that they were not ready yet to say that they are no longer affected at all. She was real pleased that I was having such good luck, and I couldn't be happier.

Just wanted to let you all know. You may have to do your own tests to be sure what your situation is, but at the least, know that my Dex is okay with Vicodin now.

/\/\

I too have found no issues using tylenol and my G4. But at the same time there is a codeine based pain reliever that does not contain any other ingredient. I told my doctor that I could not use tylenol and she wrote a script for oxycodone 5 mg immediate release tablets. They were quite effective. Good luck with your back surgery.

Oops. Forgot to mention, my only option was the Watsons because I am allergic to Codeine. Bummer, but better now because I can actually take the Vics again! Awesome sauce.

Thanks for the good words on the surgery. I am conflicted about it, though. I am looking forward to it, really! And I am really not looking forward to it... Ugh. I'll be out most of the day, and they are doing two surgeries -- one from the front and one from the back. Ouchie.

/\/\

Sounds drastic and complicated. I had a couple of back surgeries when I was in my teens and early twenties. Herniated discs from gymnastics that just did not respond to bedrest and traction.
Bummer about the allergy to codeine but I'm glad the vics are working for you.

I get the doomsday dreams when experiencing low blood sugar. Not really dreaming, but zonked out with the low. Then when I recover from the low blood sugar my mood stabilizes and I can't believe I felt so doomed.

I take one diphenhydramine tablet (generic Benedryl) every night, 2 hours before I go to bed. Walgreens has Waldryl, CVS has Allergy tablets. I stock up when they are on sale. By the time I go to bed I am very sleepy, and usually manage to sleep through the night unless I need a potty break.