Dexcom Prices in Canada (and securing the sensor)

I’m glad that Medicare covers the G5 instead of MM CGM. I hated my MM CGM. It was so often a random number generator and don’t get me started on how often it falsely showed me LOW, when lying down. Geez, with my G5 sometimes it is within 2 points when I check first thing in the AM. As an example, last night I was repeatedly low. One time I tested on a meter (just to be sure) and it was within 2 points. It is nice to be woken up ONLY for a true low–not the “fake” ones I got from Enlites.

I like my MM pump except for the screen and the buttons could be easier to press, but it is reliable and functional. Doesn’t have a bunch of bells and whistles like the newer ones. I read all the time about issues people have with the newer MM pumps when using the AUTO mode. I’d not use that as I’ll be d*mned if Id use their CGM. I’d rather have to wear two pieces of hardware as I’m doing now: pump, and G5 receiver–one on one side of my waistband and one on the other. Not ideal, but better than the alternative of having unreliable glucose readings.

Why not toss the receiver and sync with a smartphone?

I’m not using a receiver. I use an iPhone 8 with and iWatch 3.

You must not be aware that Medicare does not allow Dexcom users to use anything other than the receiver. Besides which I don’t want to use my phone. I have enough trouble with battery life because I use my phone throughout the day for many things. I don’t need to burden the battery with Bluetooth

True. I’m in Canada and don’t know much about medicare at all. I don’t, however, know how they would be able to tell if you are using the receiver or not. As for us Canadians, neither CGMs nor receivers are covered at all. That makes using a cellphone the most effective option.

As for cellphone battery, I recently got an iPhone 8. Using my CGM, I can easily get through most of the day without charging. But, I plug it in whenever I’m in the car, at my desk, or at home.

Because my wife and I have good benefits we replace the sensors every week to reduce the risk or inaccurate blood sugars. When we change her Sensor we notice alot of redness and dry skin at the site. I was wondering if this is the case with some of you. If so what do you use to treat your skin?

the only redness I have gotten is when I used to NOT use Unisolve to soften the adhesive prior to sensor removal. And once, my skin got irritated at the edge of the sensor’s xmitter frame edge digging into my skin.

I use Hypafix (ref# 71443-02)(10cm x 10m) and cut a hole in it for the sensor then put a layer of Tegaderm (ref# 16004) over everything. If I am swimming or doing heavy work I have used skintac first but even without it the tape stays on until I peel it off 31 days was the longest sensor but normally 14 to 18 days.

I don’t have this problem with sensors but do with infusion sets. Cavilon cream has been a lifesaver in this regard. I use alcohol first, then put down a layer of Cavilon cream, then whatever site/sensor or tape I’m using (let the Cavilon dry for five to ten minutes, otherwise nothing will stick to it). I use Hypafix tape to cover my sites and Opsite Flexifix tape to cover my sensors (with a hole cut out for the transmitter). It’s a lot of trial and error, because I found things like SkinTac and Tegaderm made my allergies/eczema/irritation issues worse. If I do feel redness or irritaiton at the site when I remove the set/sensor, then I put on either Benadryl cream or Polysporin, or a combination of both, which helps it significantly.

My daughter decided to go swimming with her receiver strapped around her waist. We have been pondering whether to buy another receiver. How does the I watch work with your phone. I thought we were only able to use one receiver and one iPhone.

I am new to wearing one of these things, but I have been wearing a pain patch for years. My skin is very sensitive to the glue on them. If it’s possible that could be the culprit, using an antihistamine nasal spray on the area first might help. It has really saved my skin when it comes to the adhesives.

Hello. Replying to your old post. Trying to get my son to try the Dexcom. The Opsite flexifix tape on sensors - you would buy wider? So if you were buying again you would buy the 15cm not the 10cm?

Smith and Nephew Flexifix Opsite Transparent Adhesive Film Roll 4" X10.9 Yards - Model 66000041

I find this one to be the best deal to make patches or Opsite sandwich (1 Patch direct on skin/sensor applied over that patch/patch with transmitter cutout over sensor patch) That roll will last you several months.

why not simply call tech support for FREE transparent dressings? that’s what I use and they work fine.

I have the 5 cm tape, and use two slightly overlapping strips. Next time I will buy the 10 cm tape and cut just one hole.

I’ve used the 10cm x 10M (4” x 10.9Yd) roll of Opsite for the better part of 4 years (G4 and G5’s).

It works great, I’ve made a cardboard template with window cutout and at the rate I’m using it, I’ll be dead long before the roll is ever used up.

We use exactly the same, but we put skin tac first, flexifix (no hole) then sensor on top. It stays irritation free for over 2 weeks.