Dexcom Receiver

For all of you out there that are using the Dexcom 7+ system. I will be recieving ours within the next few days but my question is do you have to have the receiver within 5ft in order to record your BG values. In other words will the transmitter store the values then when connected to the receiver upload your BG values during the time period you were not connected. I had seen that there was a blind mode that doesn’t allow the person to see the BG values. I wasn’t sure if this was when the receiver wasn’t within proximity of the transmitter

The two have to be in range. You’ll get a blank spot on the receiver’s graph when the transmitter is out of range. It doesn’t fill back in when you get them close again and it show no readings on a download. Dex becomes your new best friend and needs to be close all the time. It’s a bit of a pain, but so worth it in the end.

I just started using a 7+ this past weekend. It needs to be in your pocket, or while I’m sitting at my desk at work, it’s on my desk. Within 5 feet. During sleep, I leave it on my nightstand. And then when the receiver needs to be charged (every 3 days) I do it while I’m sleeping.

It also reccommends to calibrate the CGM every 12 hours, but I’ve been pretty persistent with comparing my BG meter to the Dexcom 7+ and I end up calibrating it every 4 hours instead. Otherwise it ranges from 50-100 points off. Which can be scary.

Don’t ever correct based off the Dex alone. If the Dex says you’re out of your target range, don’t correct without comparing to your BG meter first. I was “in the 350s” a day ago on the Dex, but before I corrected, I checked my BG meter and my meter said I was “160” So… I calibrated and the Dex righted itself again.

I use the Dex to show me my trends. For example, when I’m climbing up, I can see how quickly it’s going up. Or when I’m going down, I can see how long I’ve been traveling down, or if it’s more of a “tapering” trend rather than a “plummeting” trend.

It’s really cool. Gave me realy great insight as far as my diabetes care.

If the receiver is out of range that reading is missed and can never be retrieved. Think of the transmitter as a radio station and the receiver as the radio. Pass through a tunnel and you’ve missed that section of the song. (Hope it wasn’t “Stairway to Heaven”.)

5 ft is the recommended range. My experience is that there’s a one foot buffer to either side. Nonetheless, I try to keep it close - in my pocket or on my desk, as Marps does. At night I keep it under my pillow (which also muffles the alarms, which can be pretty shrill). I have left it in my pants pocket overnight a few times and sometimes it gets the readings, sometimes it doesn’t.

Good luck with the Dexcom. Marps offers some good advice, but don’t obsess about keeping the Dexcom readings and meter readings exactly in sync. It’ll drive you nuts. Rely on the meter for the absolute number. Rely on Dex to see if you’re climbing, falling or staying level (i.e., trends).

Terry