Dexcom sensor scars on insertion sites

Does the dexcom sensor leave a scar at the insertion sites for you? Does this happen to anyone else?

I don’t use Dexcom, but the enlite certainly does. Not only that, the only it’s attached the transmitter makes “sores” and brusies.

1 Like

When I purchased they said Dexcom would not create scar tissue. Had something to do with Dexcom not injecting anything(ie insulin). I’ve been using for 4 years and haven’t noticed any scar tissue.

No dex scar tissue in 3+ years. I wear it for 2 weeks at a time, alternating arms. Rarely the red dot may remain a while but does disappear sooner or later.

I think the answer you’ll get depends on what people think you mean by “scar at the insertion site”.

You’ll get one answer, probably a no, if the question is thought to be does the sensor leave scar tissue. You’ll probably get another answer, most likely yes, if the question is whether or not there is any mark left after you remove the sensor from the site.

Frankly, I’m still not really sure what the heck scar tissue is. Which I think means I don’t experience it, but who knows? I meant to ask at my last appointment but I didn’t feel a lot of instant rapport with the doctor of the day so I didn’t.

There is always a mark … the “red dot” mentioned above … from the sensor insertion. How long it takes to go away depends on how much trauma the skin suffered from the insertion. And that depends on how where you inserted, how much “stress” is placed on that site, and probably a bunch of other things.

So … what was your question?

Note: My experience is with Medtronic Enlite, though I doubt it could differ that much from Dexcom. Aside from the concerns of the the internal chemistry, a subcutaneous sensor probe is probably pretty much a subcutaneous sensor, no?

I don’t think the little sensor probe does anything. My problem is with the transmiter itself and I think the adhesive and the places I choose to locate it. After the sixth day of using the enlite, the place where the transmitter is placed is sore. When I take it off there is an actual sore where that white tape is that covers the transmitter. That’s why I chose not to try to reuse them. I really haven’t found a solution to my adhesive sensitivity for the enlite. I’m also sensitive to the glue on the ekg leads including the pediactric ones.

1 Like

If the tape is not “tight enough” then the plastic edges will dig into your skin. This is both painful … feels like an insect bite to me … and leaves a mark as shown in the upper right corner of the pic at the end of this post.

On the other hand. pulling the tape too tight is also bad since that can lead to pulling the transmitter up off your skin. This leads to a “rocking” effect which can pull the sensor out of it’s site.

The Enlite is very much a “Goldilocks device”. You have to remember to not do too much and not do too little but instead do what is “just right”? :confounded:

Of course, some folks just cut the tape tab completely off and rely on other overtaping to hold the transmitter in place. Have you tried that? Another possible approach is to hold the transmitter against your skin … not too tight, of course … so that when you pull the tape tab over the transmitter you don’t lift the transmitter away from your skin.

Can’t speak for lh378 but to me a scar is a visible mark that is often permanent but can fade over time. Now, if the question had been tissue damage below the skin, I would still say no for me. I don’t feel any lumps in the tissue used for insertion sites.
Are you, lh378, having tissue damage problems due to the dex sensor insertion? (I sometimes have to “think” which is the sensor/transmitter(?) and which is the receiver but you know what I mean.
I place the plastic gadget tape area fully flat on the skin with the “plunger thingie” at an angle and push it in fast.

Since i cover the whole thing with tegarderm that I probably should just cut the thing off.

But the sores are exactly what shows in the picture and it’s good to know I’m not the only one.

But those sores are with Enlite, not the Dex!! Just reminding OP!

I’m sure they very similar

I’ve been using Dexcon for over two years with no scar tissue. Sometimes have a small scab when I remove the sensor but that heals in a day or two.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and comments. Nellje, Dexcom sensor leaves behind a scab which then seem to scar. The scab does not heal in a day or two like KCsHubby_Dave stated. (Nellje, I do not mean “Lipohypertrophy”.)

This has happened to me only once. When I removed a sensor that had been in for about ten days I found a blood blister with a little bit of infection. This was a couple months ago and the red/scarred spot is still visible.

lh, my last suggestion is to have either a good CDE or a Dex rep observe your insertion practice. There may be some simple change that could help. Starting with the cleaning and drying process before insertion all the way to final taping. The observer, of course, needs to be very knowledgeable about the best techniques. If this doesn’t help, then the next step is whether your skin is sensitive to the cleaner or adhesive at the site. Start with the basics and go from there. I hope you find the source of the problem. You might also, if your haven’t, view several youtubes of regular folks inserting the dex. Each has a slightly different approach.

Nellje, great suggestions. How would you touch base with a Dex rep? My understanding is that the rep is pretty hands off after the sale of the dex. I currently don’t have access to a CDE. The previous one left and quit the practice with no replacement. I’ve been pretty much on my own except for thi community and telephone calls with Dexcom.