Diabetes carrying cases

Hello all,
What’s your favorite bag for carrying diabetes supplies on day trips? It would be a size for insulin pens, phone, dexcom receiver, glucose meter, and supplies for lows.
Thanks!

I have 2 that are actually meant for transporting portable hard drives. One for cycling the other for everyday.

The cycling kit has individually wrapped test strips and no insulin vial. This allows more food and with a syringe I can draw insulin out of the pump cartridge in case of a failure. I did that recently when an infusion site came unstuck.

2 Likes

These are nice! Where did you purchase them?

1 Like

[quote=“Devon, post:3, topic:91720, full:true”]
These are nice! Where did you purchase them?
[/[quote]]

1 Like

How do u keep ur insulin cold. Is that the vial that you are currently using?

It’s my open vial. At home the case with the insulin vial are keep cool or warm depending upon the seasons by A/C and Heating. Living in Texas which can have very hot summers I am prone to putting the case in an insulated cooler bag with a Bunche of those lovely ice packs that come with my insulin shipments. This is handy when buying frozen and refrigerated food. It is a minimum of 30 minutes drive time, and if I have to stop any place after the grocery store, well, the temperature in the car can rise astronomically in a very short time.

2 Likes

My wife’s bag is by far my favorite. Just saying.

4 Likes

I use these pouches, across three years, perfect, three different sizes, mens and womens designs, insulated. When the weather is very hot I put an ice stick inside to further insure pens stay cool. Very durable. Inexpensive. Don’t be put off by name.

2 Likes

I don’t like to carry around huge bags of stuff. This is my case for short day travel.

I am on a pump, so this gives me all the backup I need. Spare strips, a charger for my phone/pump, a mini-vial that holds 200 units, spare syringes, and glucagon.
(I learned the value of a charger for my pump! That is a super important thing to have. Don’t forget that!)

This is a very small kit to carry around. Only 4 inches wide.

This is the case:

This is the mini-vial I am using (200 units size):

These are the sleeves I used to hold the mini-vial and for my test strips and lancet. (I just used a chapstick tube to hold the lancet and strips.)

Here is the charger:

3 Likes

Thanks! Looks like a great setup.

1 Like

These look nice, and it’s always cool to buy from places like Etsy.

While a bit more expensive, PacSafe makes a nice bag that holds everything I need for day-to-day travel. I have had this version of the PacSafe for about three years and the one before it for over 10 years. I call it my man purse. I also use the Frio packs to cool my insulin.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I’ll check it out.

I still like Sheryl’s purse best.

2 Likes

Insulin is stable at body temperature. Keeping your in-use insulin cooler is a waste of effort. A normie’s beta cells make insulin and store it for later release. Insulin in a pump is at body temperature. Some vendors profit from telling you to keep it cold. I have taken several multi-day bicycle tours in hot weather with no particular protection for my insulin other than common sense.

Certainly you must avoid allowing it to overheat. I don’t know exactly where it starts to break down, but insulin is a protein, so any temperature that would cook proteins will destroy insulin. I would never leave it unprotected in a car unless under a roof.

3 Likes

I like Sheryl’s purse best. Just saying.

1 Like

my old system The thermos bottle has been replaced with a battery powered refrigerator bottle. Which hold 9 pens and neddles

2 Likes