Diabetes/Depression/Anxiety... How to cope?

:blue_heart:My name is Kristen Marie, I’m 28 years old and live in Arlington Heights Illinois. I have had type 1 diabetes since I was 19. It all kinda hit me at once. I have a twin (fraternal) sister who also has type 1 diabetes, but has had it since she was 18 months old. Everything changed when I was diagnosed… I lost A LOT of weight, my hair fell out, i was throwing up everyday. Finally developed neuropathy after having diabetes for only 2 years. Then came gastroparisis. I feel like I am living a real life hell everyday. How does one maintain life when you can’t even eat normal things!! Everything time I eat, I get sick. I have again lost a lot of weight. I go to the hospital from the pain and the nausea & vomiting, but they always say that there is nothing they can really do for me. What am I supposed to do?? Is there anyone else out there who understands??? I’m really getting to a stand still… My depression is so bad even being on antidepressants… Nothing makes me feel better. I feel like garbage every day. I honestly don’t know how to carry on. Any opinions or suggestions are very welcome.
I’m looking for more support to help me to move on with my life. Please & thank you in advance :green_heart:

1 Like

I would strongly consider the possibility that additional factors are at play. If your current medical team has not diagnosed your symptoms then you may have better results with a new medical team. These symptoms are not classic Type 1 Diabetes symptoms.

Would you be able to go to Northwestern Memorial Hospital? This looks like it may be the best hospital in your area.

2 Likes

You have a bunch of things going on. First, gastroparesis is real and you should be properly diagnosed and treated. You should see a gastroenterologist. I looked at the medical center suggested by @Tim35, there are literally dozens of gastroeneterologists. There are lots of things that you can do to manage your gastroparesis. Some doctors like Bernstein even argue that if you really tighten up your blood sugar control you can fully heal from gastroparesis.

The other thing I would suggest is that your depression and anxiety are things that many of us deal with. One thing that might help with you anxiety is meditation. I’m sure there are some groups in your area. Heck, my local county parks and recreation offers meditation classes that only cost $125 for once a week sessions that last ten weeks.

2 Likes

Has anyone tested you for/ruled out celiac?

1 Like

Exercise extremely helps me with depression and anxiety. I started working out as soon as I wake up to reduce my cortisol levels (stress hormone) and it has helped me not only to start the day with good numbers, but to keep them at a good level throughout the day. It’s hard to start, but just focus on the benefits and you will feel better right on the first day you exercise. A simple walk does the job.

2 Likes

Sounds like you are in a tough spot! I suspect most of us can relate. In addition to seeking medical attention for your complications, I can only suggest what has worked for my own anxiety, depression, and other “mental” stuff:

• Meditation (as Brian suggested) has helped me quite a bit with anxiety

• Counseling for PTSD and also relationship issues has made an enormous difference in my day-to-day life

• Real-life support from friends and family: not everyone has a big, extended, loving family, so reaching out for help from support-groups is really important. I’ve had great experiences with both my own family and community support groups

• Online support: you posting here is a really great thing, and I’ve personally found that the support and advice I receive here on TuD is as valuable as my “real life” experience

I know it’s tough right now, but it can be OK. You’ve done the hardest part (which is reaching out) already.

1 Like

I hope you have a good endocrinologist. For me, yoga and exercise always help me feel better. If you have a friend to go with, that helps. A gym nearby as mentioned for classes, rec center. Try lots of protein and see a nutritionist about carbohydrates and eating low carb foods. A few years ago I changed my diet to Paleo, low carb, and I felt a lot better. I hope you are feeling better and that your blood sugars are in control. This is a great place to get support, ask questions, I have learned a lot from the kind people on this forum.

I have found lots of good recipes googling on the internet and also in the forum. Think positive you are so young and have your whole life ahead of you! I have boy/girl twins. I hope your twin is doing well. Are they a support for you? Do you like your doctor? Maybe a different opinion from another doctor? Take Care!!

1 Like

So sorry to hear you are feeling so crummy… inside and out. I have heard that chronic illness can lead to depression and anxiety so you definitely need to get some help, and I’m sure you just want to get to a place where you can feel decent enough to go about your day.

I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with gastroparisis and I’ll link one of her videos here… she’s a Youtuber, so has lots of videos on how she is coping. She does puree all of her food and recently underwent a food sensitivity test to see if she can eliminate more foods to see if that will help her. Here is one of her recent videos…

It’s so hard to have a chronic disease… and you have two, so that’s a double whammy. But we are here to support you and to listen and I hope you can find some relief. :tulip:

1 Like

How do you do it…? One step at a time! You don’t start out a long term romantic relationship POOF all the difficulties, challenges disappeared right?

Time is required to work out the easy stuff from the stuff you just cannot tolerate. Takes time, effort and insane persistence and commitment.

Let yourself figure out some of that. Bring us a specific issue, and pretty sure there are one or two of us who have had xyz challenge too.

Help explain and you get to help us figure out how we did it. Your unique perspective lets us reexamine the issues too.

So bring em on, let’s see if some of us have been down your road…I

1 Like

sorry about all your going through. think dr,s will come up with a cure someday from what I have seen stem
cells look promising . some type 1’s have gone off insulin . a support group could help . wish you well.

1 Like

Have you been tested for celiac disease? There is a strong link between TD1 and celiac disease as both are autoimmune. Learn more and consider getting tested.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/tag/diabetes/

Tests:

1 Like