Diabetic Freaks?

Hearing your story and those of the others inspire me…when I start feeling down about everything I have to do, or feel overwhelmed or hopeless about managing my diabetes I will think of you. Kudos on 50 years. Seriously hope to make it also. May I ask what your A1C’s have been, and at what age you were diagnosed?

I am not sure who you are asking, but my A1C are usually between 6 and 7.2. I have some in the late 80’s early nineties in the upper 5’s but these may have been before the current standardation of A1C’s. I was diagnosed in 1958 about six weeks before my eleventh birthday.

I am really wanting to be apart of the freak club now I am now 16 yrs t1 and god knows how long till a cure but until then I will choose freak any day

I do so agree about the c-peptide in the pork insulins… I have had diabetes for 42 years and no major complications I want to join the 50+ club, too . Thanks so much for sharing Richard, I will be buying your book…

God Bless,
Brunetta

Some of you wonder about the beef/pork insulins. Did you know that some people still use them? i have read about a few people using them because they are allergic to the modern day insulins. I have two friends with that allergy. Here is a link explaining how people in the US can get beef or pork insulin from the UK.

http://www.iddt.org/here-to-help/iddt-international/iddt-united-states/us-pork-insulin-available-online-without-a-doctors-letter/

I think I will stick with modern day insulins. I do not want to have all the high BGs I used to have during the 40 years I used them. I am doing very well without the C-peptide.

Wow - and VERY interesting!

$124 to take a trip down memory lane.

I am certain it was cheaper long ago - but it’s very cool that they still are making it for those who need it.

drew

The reality is that there’s more to avoiding complications than glycemic control. While studies have shown a reduction in the incidence of various complications, the reality is that no study has show that glycemic control can eliminate complications completely (many make excuses about why this might be the case, yet most lack solid data to prove why). This means that in many cases, the most diligent “model” patients sometimes get complications, while others who are anything but model patients don’t suffer any apparent complications attributed specifically to diabetes. There is also some evidence in the case of type 1 diabetes that neuropathy and cardiovascular disease may have an autoimmune basis. While poor control will almost certainly accelerate problems, it may not be enough to prevent all complications.

Shall we call you King Freak? How interesting and awesome for you! I hope to join the League of Freaks one day, heading to 14 years in September.

I’m very curious to hear the results.

I heard that c-peptide is removed from animal insulins when they are sterilized. I am not sure how long that has been the case.

I agree though, I want some c-peptide please! Creative Peptides is working on it.

How cool!