Diabetic friendly vs unfriendly

Nothing is forbidden, however, there are some things I just don’t bother with because trying to dose for them is hell. Pizza, regular soda or juice (have to OD & wait to go low & then I don’t get to enjoy it, so what’s the point?), pasta, bananas, and pears. I do, however, treat myself to Cadbury Creme Eggs and Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies…I trial & errored the crap out of those so I could continue to have them. The other things just weren’t yummy enough to go thru all that…easier to just not eat them. =]

I’ve seen sugar free foods that were higher carb than their full flavor counterparts. No thanks lol

I do have certain foods that I never or at least very rarely eat. But I prefer not to think of them as “forbidden”. To me, that is a way of setting yourself up for cravings and for “being bad”. I choose not to eat certain foods because they are too unreliable for me to dose for, I like the “law of small numbers” (less carbs = less insulin = less chance for error). I rarely eat pasta (which, as a vegetarian used to be a staple of my diet) for these reasons, and because the amount I could successfully eat is too small to bother. I eat pasta if I am going out with people and am at a restaurant where that is the only vegetarian option. I never eat rice, brown or white. I no longer eat any cereal at all, after trying every brand in the store and spiking on them all. I haven’t eaten any sugar for 16 years due to an eating disorder, so that one’s easy for me. I don’t use sugar substitutes and really don’t care for recipes that are based on substitutions of any kind. (Either the low carb or the vegetarian variety).

I keep my carbs to under 100. I’m a Type 1 with no insulin resistance to speak of and I want to keep it that way. I’m at an age where I can gain weight easily and have a lot of trouble losing, so I choose to prevent that from happening. I eat a large variety of foods, cook and enjoy different ethnic foods and food and cooking is a big pleasure in life to me. I am lucky enough to live walking distance to an amazing store where I can get ingredients from around the world and love new recipes. I had to make certain changes before I could do that as a diabetic, but I have the time and consider it a challenge to my foodie soul. I never feel deprived.

I agree that 30 units is a lot. But you could have just eaten half the plate. Or a quarter.

i would say that on a regular basis I try to eat things that aren’t crazy high in carbs/sugar… lots of veggies, salads, baked/grilled chicken or fish. However, I do eat pretty much anything I want, but in moderation. Fries and onion rings destroy my numbers, so I’ve been trying to limit my intake by ordering salads instead and stealing a few of my husband’s to get my fix.

The only thing I would say I totally limit is regular sodas… not worth the empty calories and carbs when I don’t really notice the taste difference since I’ve been drinking diet for so long. I also stay away from smoothies and other high-carb drinks/shakes.

I don’t eat “sugar free” foods (except for maybe jello) since they upset my stomach and typically contain a fair amount of carbs anyways.

I also will opt for sugar free pancake syrup, but I haven’t had the need for it in a long long time. I don’t limit myself at all on food, but that’s maybe why I need to kick a few pounds…

haha I did the same thing with cadbury creme eggs as I got my pump right before easter… 25g of carbs never tasted so good

The low carb diets can come in handy because generally you do not have to dose much for veggies and meat as you would have to with carbohydrates. Veggies and meats (depending upon how they’re prepared of course) tend to have a lower chance of making your blood sugar spike a few hours later, too.

I try to keep the carbohydrates to a minimum - I dose less and don’t have the bounce back highs that I sometimes get with certain carbo-rich foods. Some food, like any restaurant/store pizza and mac and cheese tend to bring up my blood sugar later. Doesn’t matter how much I dose for it, doesn’t matter what the carbo-count is per the manufacturer of the items, it always goes up.