First Question, and first post

Hi…

My name is Kari, and I’m from Pittsburgh. I’ve never known anyone in my family to have diabetes, but I was sure thrown for a loop when I started to date a wonderful man who became my husband, who happens to have Type 1 Diabetes. We’ve been living together for the past four years, and he switched from manual injections to the MedTronic insulin pump 2 years ago. Now, for my question.

For the past four years that I’ve been living with my DH, I’ve noticed a lot of things about both of our diets. I fully understand that he as a diabetic, with such severe diabetes, needs to eat on a regular schedule, and especially when his sugar gets too low, but he grew up in a family that ate EVERY meal together, no matter if it was just a snack, or a real meal, unlike mine who would eat maybe 2 meals together a day. My DH gets very frustrated when I don’t feel like eating when he’s ready to eat. I have offered numerous times to sit with him and maybe snack on something, but it doesn’t seem like it’s enough of a deal for him.

My own weight has skyrocketed because I am trying to keep up with his eating schedule. (He’s a grazer…more happy to eat 6-8 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones) He’s guarenteed to eat once every 4 hours without fail.

My question is, has anyone else delt with this before, and how did you handle it? I work as a Paramedic and a Fire Fighter, and I’m constantly on the road, but I find myself trying not to eat when I know it’s between 2 and 3 hours to the end of my shift, because I know the hubby will want to bond over dinner when I get home. I don’t want anyone to think that I am at my wits end or anything, because it’s not at that point yet, and I know further that when he vents his frustration, it’s the low BGM that’s talking, not him.

Any one who can give any advice is welcome, thank you.

hi, Kari, welcome here. This is a problem I’ve not seen written about here before. It must be very frustrating. I think with today’s families, it is actually unusual if the family sits down together even once a day for a meal together. Your schedule is naturally a little erratic. I know I’d be packing it on too, if I had to eat that many times a day. I hope you guys can work something out.

From what I can gather, he’s been doing this ever since he was diagnosed. He had one of those diabetic horror stories where he went from 280lbs to 140 in a little over a year…on a 6’4" frame. When he recovered from the DKA, they wanted him to try and put on a bit of weight, and I think that he just never stopped eating that way. I think it’s almost like telling someone that they can eat whatever they want for a few years, then all of a sudden saying they have to eat in a completely different way. Unfortunately, not only is he T1D, he’s also severely insulin resistant, so I think that has a lot to do with his highs and lows.

His Endo. is also at a loss for ideas. I feel like my only recourse is to allter my eating habits to suit his…grazing througout the day instead of larger meals…