Diabetic Online Community (DOC) Questions. Please participate!

I have a few questions (my answers are shown next to the question) in regards to the Diabetes Online Community…

1. What year did you join the DOC? 2002

2. What Type of Diabetes do you have? Type 1

3. How long have you had Diabetes? 26 years

4. What age were you diagnosed? 12 years old

5. How old were you when you joined the DOC? 29/30

6. What was your main reason for Joining the DOC? I was having issues with minor complications I was dealing with and had a few questions.

7. How many Diabetic related online communities are you currently a member of? Probably 10, but I only visit 2 of them.

Question Eight was added 11/7/2010. Thanks bsc.
8. What year did you join the on-line community? 1994 ish?

I have a couple of online Diabetic friends that say they have been a part of the DOC since the late 1990’s… the wonderful years where modems screeched! I’d say roughly 1998, a (offline) friend told me to go online and try to connect with other diabetics. I did, I recall doing searches but I was always directed to gruesome pages about diabetes complications. So that kinda turned me off until 2002.

I’m very interested in learning how long some of us have been a part of the online community, how long we had diabetes before joining and what brought us here etc…

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

1. What year did you join the DOC? 2009

2. What Type of Diabetes do you have? Type 2

3. How long have you had Diabetes? 1 year

4. What age were you diagnosed? 33 years old

5. How old were you when you joined the DOC? 33. About 1 month after diagnosis, and after my birthday.

6. What was your main reason for Joining the DOC? I was not satisfied with the information that I got from the ADA, or from my doctor, and I really wanted to learn as much as I could from my condition.

7. How many Diabetic related online communities are you currently a member of? 3, but I rarely visit one of them. If Twitter is an online community, than 4. lol

Sorry, I’m pretty new. :slight_smile:

1. Joined 2009

2. I have LADA/Type 1

3. I have had Diabetes for 3 years

4. I was diagnosed at age 58

5. I joined TuD at age 60

6. I had been diagnosed as Type 2 and did fine on oral meds for a year and change, then my numbers started climbing. I knew I’d have to start insulin but didn’t know why it was happening so soon. I had begun to strongly suspect I was Type 1 and wanted to learn more.

7. Two, but I no longer visit the other one very often.

1. What year did you join the DOC? 2010

3. How long have you had Diabetes? 6 months

4. What age were you diagnosed? 42 years old

5. How old were you when you joined the DOC? 42

6. What was your main reason for Joining the DOC? I needed answers to my questions and emotional support.

7. How many Diabetic related online communities are you currently a member of? Two, and I only visit this one.

3. How long have you had Diabetes? 33 years

4. What age were you diagnosed? 13 years old

5. How old were you when you joined the DOC? 45

6. What was your main reason for Joining the DOC? I was born again. Got my head on straight and got motivated. I wanted to know how other people dealt with the day-to-day. I wanted to learn.

7. How many Diabetic related online communities are you currently a member of? Four total. But I favor the TuD interface and the vibrancy of its membership.

1. What year did you join the DOC?

2. What Type of Diabetes do you have?

Type 1
  3. How long have you had Diabetes?

5 years
  4. What age were you diagnosed?

30 years old
  5. How old were you when you joined the DOC?

6. What was your main reason for Joining the DOC?

I stumbled upon it about the time I started using an insulin pump. I think I’d spent almost 5 years half-trying, half in denial. Now I want to learn and be my best self.
  7. How many Diabetic related online communities are you currently a member of?

Only 2. I come to this site most frequently.

Danny, what is the other site you visit, if you don’t mind sharing? The other one I stumbled upon with some good info is insulin-pumpers.org
  1. What year did you join the DOC?
    I first looked up a diabetes community for support on LiveJournal in 2005.

2. What Type of Diabetes do you have?
    Type 1

3. How long have you had Diabetes?
    19 years

4. What age were you diagnosed?
    9 years old

5. How old were you when you joined the DOC?

6. What was your main reason for Joining the DOC?
    I was struggling with emotional aspects of coping (“I get so frustrated that I try so hard and still can’t get the control I want! How can I possibly do this forever? I hate diabetes.”) and did not have contact with anyone in “real life” who was my age and had type 1 diabetes, so I decided to type it into the search box in LiveJournal.

7. How many Diabetic related online communities are you currently a member of?
    This site and communities on LiveJournal (which are still my main source of support due to not being indexed at the top of every Google search like this site is), as well as one or two other forums that I never participate in.

1.Joined in 2010 "as Marie says NOW I’m a total member of the DOC before in 2009 til abit ago when I got started in 2004 that more or less didn’t count b/c I was answering questions on Yahoo Questions about it

1. A Type 1

2. 37 years

4 10 years old

1. Really? around 43 but probably easriler than th

2. Just to help other’s with diabetes know it wasn’t the end that their was soooo much more out there than that diagnoses

7.Around 4 but am manily active here b/c I think TuD really wants to help ppl like I do

1. What year did you join the DOC? 2006

3. How long have you had Diabetes? 5 years

4. What age were you diagnosed? 53 years old

5. How old were you when you joined the DOC? 54 (7 months after diagnosis, I lurked for quite a time before I had the courage to join though)

6. What was your main reason for Joining the DOC? wanted to talk and ask questions in English.I live in France but am not fluent in French. I was so frustrated by not being able to ask the questions I wanted to, and when I managed to formulate the questions, I couldn’t understand the detail in the answers.
  7. How many Diabetic related online communities are you currently a member of? 5, (3 UK ones, 2 international,mostly post on a couple of the UK ones)

You know I might have! LOL! Sorry if I gave you the wrong info.

3. How long have you had Diabetes? 20.

4. What age were you diagnosed? 9.

5. How old were you when you joined the DOC? 29.

6. What was your main reason for Joining the DOC? I was looking for and exchange of information. I wanted to hear and talk to people who live everyday with Diabetes and not just those that we see for our Diabetes.

7. How many Diabetic related online communities are you currently a member of? 3.

1. What year did you join the DOC? 2008

3. How long have you had Diabetes? 30 1/2 years

4. What age were you diagnosed? 18 months old

5. How old were you when you joined the DOC? 29

6. What was your main reason for Joining the DOC? I lost my mother who was also a diabetic from a heart condition unrelated to diabetes. She was also type 1 diagnosed at 36. I started to have issues with hypoglycemia unawareness and felt a need to meet other people who were going through it as well.

7. How many Diabetic related online communities are you currently a member of? 3 but only currently active with this one.

1. What year did you join the DOC? 2007

3. How long have you had Diabetes? 18 years

4. What age were you diagnosed? 6 years old

5. How old were you when you joined the DOC? 21

6. What was your main reason for Joining the DOC? I was interested in taking better control of my diabetes and wanted to connect with others who were in my same position.

7. How many Diabetic related online communities are you currently a member of? 4 that I can think of

1. What year did you join the DOC? 2008

3. How long have you had Diabetes? 2.5 years (Know you’re a newbie when you count 1/2 years like a little kid. I’m not 5, I’m 5 1/2!)

4. What age were you diagnosed? 53

5. How old were you when you joined the DOC? 53

6. What was your main reason for Joining the DOC? Newly diagnosed, clueless, confused & scared. Looking for answers & the comraderie of veterans. Found all of you!

7. How many Diabetic related online communities are you currently a member of? Just one. TuD.

Confused to the point of being immobilized. “Somebody tell me what to do & I’ll do it” kind of confused. I think I read 25-30 discussions on my first visit here. Hand-outs I was given at the hospital contradicted each other. Insulin doses had me knee-walking, in a stupor low constantly.

26 years, 1 month, 2 weeks, 12 days, 15 hours, 12 minutes, and thirteen seconds ago, but who’s counting!

2. What Type of Diabetes do you have? Type 2

3. How long have you had Diabetes? Almost 9 months (going by my DX - don’t know how long before that I had it)

4. What age were you diagnosed? 40

5. How old were you when you joined the DOC? 40

6. What was your main reason for Joining the DOC? I was scared s***less of having this and had no idea how to eat for this disease.

7. How many Diabetic related online communities are you currently a member of? I think 2. But I hated the first one I went too than I found TuD and this is the only one I go too. I feel accepted here. :slight_smile:

1. 2010
  2. Type 2
  3. 7 months
  4. 70 yo
  5. 70 yo
  6. I was clueless despite all the handouts, etc. I was given.
  7. 4 DOC
  1. 2009
  2. Type 1
  3. 26 years
  4. 12 years old
  5. 36
  6. Learning how to become a proficient diabetic.
  7. 2

. What year did you join the DOC? 2007

1. What Type of Diabetes do you have? Type 1

2. How long have you had Diabetes? 43 years

3. What age were you diagnosed? 13 years old

4. How old were you when you joined the DOC? 52

5. What was your main reason for Joining the DOC? I was looking for information about clinical trials for type One cures and research, specifically Denise Faustman’s

6. How many Diabetic related online communities are you currently a member of?
    3, but most active on Tudiabetes

God Bless,
Brunetta

1. What year did you join the DOC? 2005

2. What Type of Diabetes do you have? Type 2, maybe

3. How long have you had Diabetes? perhaps 10 years, diagnosed in 2005

4. What age were you diagnosed? 45 years old

5. How old were you when you joined the DOC? see 4

6. What was your main reason for Joining the DOC? I was unhappy with the medical treatment and medical advice I was being given. I’m still quite unhappy with my medical treatment and advice, but now have a better basis for making informed and competent decisions.

7. How many Diabetic related online communities are you currently a member of? Not sure how to answer, I have create membership identities at perhaps 10, but I have visited perhaps 100s and have participated in 30-50 (anonymously).

It would be interesting to also ask the question:

8. What year did you join the on-line community? 1977 (email)/78 (discussion groups)

I was aware of a fledgling diabetes on-line community in the “early” days, they maintain mailing lists and usenet discussion groups. I did not participate before I was diganosed. Some still survive today. I am a member of http://tbinet.org/dsm/, although I lurk. And of course the newsgroup alt.support.diabetes represents the oldest usenet newsgroup line (http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/). But the difference between lurking, participating and being a member is murky.