Different flours/ nut meals and how to use them?

I recently tried to thicken a sauce using soy flour - to little or no perceivable effect.
Therefore i’m wondering if you all have any pearls of wisdom for using these ‘alternative’ flours?
I tend to cook ‘by feeling’ - and i miss knowing how to substitute one flour for another when playing with recipes, so any advice would be fabulous!
I mean, can i add something to a recipe with one of the flours and suddenly it works? Do you have a ‘go to’ flour as a preference?
For example:
Coconut flour - adds a slight sweetness to food i’ve been told. I see it in bread recipes etc, but i’m guessing i can’t just use it like normal flour - or is there a trick to it?
Chick pea flour - i own a packet of this now, but I don’t know what to do with it
Soy flour - again, not much clue
Lupin flour - found this in a health food shop - apparently it’s great, but can i just throw it in instead of normal flour, or one of the other flours?
Nut meals - almond, hazelnut - i guess these make things quite dense?
Bran- this works for ‘beefing out’ cracker dough etc - although it does have a strong taste
Flax/ chia - i use these a lot already to thicken/ bind recipes instead of using so many eggs (cauliflower pizza bases for example)
Psyllium husk - also seems to be used for binding, but can give a ‘bread’ feeling to things made with cream cheese and eggs - like oopsies (http://www.food.com/recipe/oopsie-bread-497736) - although they still taste too ‘eggy’ for me - hardly surprising, that is pretty much all they are.
I do experiment, but i have had a few catastrophes that i would prefer to avoid in the future, so any help gratefully accepted :smile:

Have you tried googling these flours for help with using them?

1 Like

There are TONS of recipes out there for alternative flours. The basic answer to your question is that none of them will do exactly what traditional wheat flour does - and you can’t just substitute them in regular recipes. I recommend looking up a recipe you want to make + “grain free.” A lot of the recipes that pop up will be for these alternative flours. I use coconut flour and almond flour the most.

1 Like

Tapioca flour is great for thickening sauces.

For baking, I use a blend of brown rice flour, tapioca flour, almond meal, and coconut flour. In all baking, I reduce the flour component by half using usweetened coconut and increasing eggs by one or two. I add a small amount of xanthum gum for cookies to make them chewy :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the “+grain free” and the xanthan gum tip - i had never thought of simply putting “grain free” - silly of me really! - and xanthan gum is something i shall look into!

1 Like