Substitute for soy flour

So I rediscovered a recipe I always wanted to try. However, is there a better ingredient – one which is more diabetes friendly – to substitute for soy flour?

This is from a 20-year old book called “Carbohydrate-Addicted Kids”, by Drs. Richard and Rachel Heller.

Are there other “bread” recipes out there?
Any you love?

Hello!
It might be an experiment… as with diabetes, “Your bread substitutes may vary!” I have used coconut flour, hazelnut flour, and almond flour.
Here is a link to a pinterest page I LOVE with many different bread recipes that do not use traditional flour…
Maybe there is something here that might work! I’d love to know if you find one that works! Please share!
Have fun in the kitchen!

1 Like

@LADA_lady
Just saw this too! Looks interesting maybe!?! http://www.lowcarbsosimple.com/perfect-peanut-butter-bread/

1 Like

Thank you, Cynthia! I love the idea of nut flours. That I CAN tolerate!!!

These I will definitely try!

Have you tried the “swerve”?
I am ok with small amounts of xylitol,
(Mouthwash and gum) so MAYBE the swerve will be ok. I’m just not that into sweet flavors anymore.

Before the diagnosis this year, I really taxed my body. Unaware of my FG (over 450),
I was craving – and eating – candy, sweet coffees, cake – because although I was full of sugar, my body could not access any of it because I am T1, not making much insulin anymore.

Getting on insulin changed me immediately. The day after my first shot, I remember I went grocery shopping – and I was shocked that I did not WANT to buy candy.

Now that is normal. So I’m not very keen on introducing any sweeteners yet.

It also makes me wonder how many alcoholics are undiagnosed diabetics.

1 Like

I think you could leave the sweetener out of the peanut butter bread, it is only 1/4 cup so hardly makes a difference. I would be so nice sliced and buttered, or even toasted and buttered.

1 Like