Discussing Diabetes with Potential Employers

Just posting an addendum to this thread I started a year ago... I eventually did find a couple of relief-vet jobs to do and didn't even tell the employers that I had diabetes until after the fact. I then wound up finding a full time veterinary position where I'm not required to do surgery (which makes me happier anyway) and I was up front about it from the beginning. I have never asked for specific accommodations; I do check my BG frequently as I did before, and I don't hide it from anyone. It has gone better than I thought it would. Everyone there knows I have Type 1 and if I am in the middle of having a low, I can usually ask a technician to help for a few minutes until my head is more clear. It doesn't happen very often, though. I do tend to keep my BG a little higher though.. I just don't want to have to deal with having a low right in the middle of an appointment (which incidentally has happened, I kept stammering and couldn't quite spit out what I was trying to say, so I just made up an excuse and left to treat... and came back in when I was feeling better). I frequently tell owners of my diabetic patients that I am a diabetic and I know that giving shots sucks; and that I was doing 5-7 shots a day before I got my pump. Usually that helps to persuade a nervous client to go ahead and treat their diabetic kitty/dog and for that I am thankful. Some clients actually do refuse to treat their diabetic animals and want to let them 'go on their own'... I'm like... I know how miserable your animal is. This is unfair!

I have not read any of the replies, but NO, NO, NO! DO NOT mention, allude to, or discuss diabetes in a job interview on any level. I worked in HR for years. Do not talk about it. Once hired, discuss the required reasonable accommodations. They should be able to accommodate a small thing like breaks in some fashion.

Hah, didn't even register in my brain that the post was made a year ago.

Congratulations!

way to go Spock!

The fact is that it's practically illegal for them to reject you because of a health condition says something. I would definitely consider not starting if you think you're physically incapable of working so hard that your BG is dropping constantly, but otherwise tell them and then be the best employee they've ever had.

Tell em AFTER they hire us, never ever before hand!