When would be a good time to tell and employer i have diabetes?

i applied to Best Buy for my first job tuesday. I got a call back yesterday that they want to interview me. Ive had diabetes for about 9 years now and this would be the first job ill have. my question is: how do i bring up the fact that i have diabetes. If I am asked, how do i talk about it? If they dont ask during the interview, how should i bring it up?

Congrats on the callback! An employer should not ask you about diabetes in an interview, and there is no need for you to bring it up with them. If you choose to share with them that you have diabetes, it is perfectly acceptable to wait until after you have been hired. Good luck in the interview!

In my opinion, it is none of there business. There is no reason for them to ask during the interview, and it is possible it could be an illegal question but I am not sure. I would not bring it up to them either. The only reason to bring it up to them would be after the hire (And probationary period if possible) as a safety concern if you go low often.

On a side note: I interviewed for a store management for them quite a few years ago now. I got the question: “Present to me a 30 second television commercial that describes why I should hire you” What a F*$(ing stupid question that has no merit.

Good Luck!

When I got hired at the nursing home I told them after they hired me. I know they can’t use it to discriminate against me but I also know the reality of it happening and that being the decision on not hiring me. I told them like 2 days after they hired me and my boss and i worked out what I need to do to keep safe while I am working. Since I m doing direct patient care I am allowed food on my body at all times as well as my meter and I am allowed to take a break whenever I need one regardless if it is time or not.

Yeah, after you’re hired. They’re not “allowed” to discriminate, but they still could potentially.

I wouldn’t bring it up either. It is NONE of their business. The only trappings I see are two, one if you are offered health insurance, but having diabetes can’t be terms for letting you go; and if you would have a serious melt down and need help, it would be safe to have someone who knows that you are diabetic. Actually if you wear a medi-alert bracelet, someone will eventually see it, and maybe ask, then you can say, without emotion, “oh, I am diabetic”…if you don’t make a BIG deal out of it they shouldn’t either. My husband works with a waitress that is a type I diabetic and she sometimes has to give her shots at work, she either goes in the back where she can be alone, or she goes into the ladies room…no big deal. But there are two or three people she works with who know of her diabetes, incase she would have problems. Good luck, I’ll be praying you get the job.

once you start working, make sure someone finds out for your own safety and so they know what the deal is if you need a break to test your sugar. before you start working, best to keep d out of the picture.

I was yelled at when I worked in a retail suit store. We had to dress up and wear suits and skirts and heels all the time (which is where I got my current fashion sense- haha) and I used to wear my pump (when I had one) on the back of my waist of my pants.

I was threatened to be written up about it for having cell phones on the floor until I told them what it was. From that point forward, I hid my pump in the cleavage of my bra- so no tubing or hardware was showing anymore.

The “Food Police” is why no one at my job knows about it except for my immediate boss. Otherwise I’d have to deal with them and I don’t really have the patience to. I know I’d get “snappy” if asked.

So if your diabetes (or any other disease or condition) will impact your ability to perform the work, then you do have a legal obligation to disclose it. For instance, if you had a chronic back problem and the job required heavy lifting, you would have to reveal your back problems when asked about your ability to perform the job duties. Otherwise, if your conditions do not interfere with your ability to perform the work, you are under no obligation to tell your employer.

However, you also should know that under the Americans with Disabilities Act, your employer is required by law to make “reasonable accommodations” for your condition. This includes allowing you to test your blood sugar and take a few minutes to treat a high or low blood sugar. So at some point, after you get the job, you should let them know that you do have diabetes and that occasionally you’ll need to a few minutes to take care of your diabetes.

JCrow

Well done for getting an interview =). When I went for my first job, only a few weeks ago, at the end of the interview he asked me if there was anything I’d like to ask. I just simply said - I’m type 1 diabetic, my sugars are under control which in turn means I won’t be taking numerous amounts of sick days and I’ll have to make sure I get my set break times so I can give myself my insulin. They were groovy with it I got the job and I’m working overtime tomorrow, a little extra cash in the old back pocket…

A good time would be AFTER you’re hired.

If you tell them now and you don’t get the job, you’ll never know if it was becasue of the diabetes or some other reason.

After you’re hired (good luck!) you should tell your supervisor and explain what accomodations you’ll need. For instance, a five minute break to check your bg if you feel low. the right to carry food or candy and eat on the job in particular circumstances, the right to carry your pump in the open - whatever.

Terry

thanks to everyone thats replied. it seems everyones saidf i should talk about it afterwards and my girlfriend was telling me to do the same. i guess ill just jump in the cart and follow the advice. thanks again!

One interesting aspect of protections for diabetic people under the Americans with Disabilities Act is that you have to inform your employer that you’re diabetic to receive those protections. If you don’t tell them, they can’t be held responsible for not providing reasonable accommodations.

Janet