Do I Even Need the Pump?

If I can drop 64 lbs and stay active and eat perfectly, will I even still need the pump? How many injections would I have to take if I were really thin and ate strictly?

You are Type 1 aren’t you. You have two good choices, a pump or MDI. If you lose 64 pounds the choices will not change, one is not better than the other, being 64 pounds less will not favor one over the other. This is a choice of personal preference.

Losing weight is an excellent goal, if that is in your plans then by all means do so. If you are successful then sit back and make your decision about pumping. Just remember that a pump is just a delivery method, what you need is insulin, it matters very little what your delivery method is.

5 Likes

[quote=“Cocheze, post:1, topic:54396, full:true”]
If I can drop 64 lbs and stay active and eat perfectly, will I even still need the pump? How many injections would I have to take if I were really thin and ate strictly?
[/quote]I prefer a pump but no one “Needs” a pump. No matter how much you weigh you “Need” insulin so however you want to deliver it and how much and when is not something we can tell you. I don’t think being really thin is exactly a healthy goal, and I have no idea what constitutes eating perfectly or strictly.

4 Likes

I have had a lot of social pressure from guy friends and girls who liked me to do pens. And I have switched for girls before. MDI is tough and I much prefer the pump but it’s difficult to stay active and intimate. It might be worth the extra effort to do injections. If I can get fit I would do MDI for vanity purposes.

I am very active and well and happy living with a pump. I don’t care what folks think and sure don’t appreciate or tolerate unsolicited advice regarding my eats or my methods of taking care of my health. Your song is stuck on this same old verse and I don’t see it ever getting to the chorus. Do get fit, but not for vanity. This community has offered you the same advice forever. Sorry you are still hanging out with folks like you do. These aren’t the definition of friends in my book =/ !

4 Likes

Sorry to keep on about this but regardless if the girl is ok with my wearing the pump or not it is physically challenging to make out or more with a girl with it on.

That is ridiculous Cocheze. This decision is all about you, not your friends or girlfriends. Diabetes is part of the total package that is you. Whether you pump or not is irrelevant. Being pump free will not change anything.

Stand proud and stand your ground, diabetes is part of you and pumping is part of your diabetes. Its time that your friends understand that.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m sorry you keep on about this as well. The pumps today can be disconnected for g’ness sake!

2 Likes

Karen is right, You know how long you can be without your pump. Take advantage of what you know.

2 Likes

It’s an issue to others only when my mood is off - manic or depressed. It’s like others know when I’m at my worst and to make a big deal about it. When my life is going smoothly, no one says anything about my pump.

This tells me that your pump is not your problem. If your friends are blaming your pump for your mood you need to set them straight. I doubt that is the case, Your friends are responding to your mood, that is where you need to put your efforts.

1 Like

My friends told me, in my dad’s house, to put my shirt back on when I was drumming and playing music because of the site and tubing showing.

They bring up my wearing the pump when my mood is off. Am I maybe perceiving it as criticism because my mood is off?

1 Like

For goodness sake Cocheze, put a shirt on, it is a small accommodation.

It looks like you have hit the problem square on the head.

1 Like

I didn’t say anything was wrong with it, I said it was an accommodation. Some battles are not worth fighting

2 Likes

Why should I put a shirt on? I was looking good at the time and it was my house. Is there something offensive about exposed tubing and a site ?

Oh ok

Your troubles are a nonsensical saga and I am sad for you. As I’ve said a time or two on your other posts of the same type of issues… you should move. There are places and people where no one cares what you wear, if you drum without a shirt, or if you have a pump. Time to grow up, or grow something!!

1 Like

I should move out of the South

Sure. BTW I’ve got some pretty fine Southern people in my life and not one of them cares what I wear, if my pump is showing or not, what I am eating or doing. I am always offered tea, sunscreen, and joy!!

4 Likes