Do We All Really Need Supplements or Multivitamins?

Hey Liz
We were actually having a discussion in the forum about the use of supplements as part of the natural diabetes treatment as related to a Newyork times from last week. The article highlighted the danger of supplements containing dangerous levels of contaminants.
It was interesting to me how we all use supplements as part of our daily self management practices and no one was deterred from using them even with a threat of contamination.
You touched at it that most of the added advantages found in supplements can easily be replicated in our diets. The whole premise of supplements however is the notion of taking a pill to replace what was missing in the diet. and yes its reached convoluted levels, now supplements are touted as cures for everything that ails us, packaged and presented to us as a natural alternative to pharmaceuticals and their dangerous side effects. but these very supplements contain harmful ingredients which sometimes are not even included in the product labeling and marketing.
Am not an alarmist and this does not mean I have sworn off my omega 3 fish oil and multivitamin, but it did give me a moment of pause.

The discussion in the forum is here
The Newyork times article is here Study Finds Supplements Contain Contaminants
I wrote a follow up blog post on the natural diabetes treatment on my blod too.