Do You Hide Your Diabetes?

Doris, there are so many people who still tell us the things they heard in the distant past. Diabetes myths will probably continue to be circulated for many years to come. Today’s knowledge may become the new myths in the future.

That is funny!!

It seems like you are dealing with your situation very well. I always kept some insulin at work. I sometimes had a bad high and needed a correction bolus. Always had glucose tabs orjelly beans in a zip lock bag in my pocket.

Are you the same Terry that posts on the DSF site in the UK? If so, I admire what you have done for that group.

You and I both like to educate other people about diabetes, but all too often the people are not really interested, so I usually keep the conversations short and to the point. I am type 1 for almost 67 years now, and still very healthy. I hope it is the same for you.

I have seen a few DAD's with diabetic friends. They are so alert and responsive. Amazing!!

What a wonderful example you are for your daughter. Fantastic!

Hi Richard,

I was shy about my diabetes for a short time after diagnosis but now I am as open as possible. For those who have to worry about employers' and co-workers' reactions discretion might but necessary. But those of us who aren't under those constraints do all people with diabetes a disservice by keeping our disease and the efforts we put into syaing healthy a secret.

Yesterday, I was having a tough morning and muttered after a finger stick. A friend said that other people she knew with pumps just seemed to wear them and went along with their life. Yeah, right. I explained that most people with pumps test 6 - 15 times per day. If people don't get a chance to learn about the efforts that most of us make (T1 and T2) they'll never overcome the negative media images.

Maurie

Richard- You are a hero of mine. You were Dx when I was 2 years old. You have kept your life normal over these years while watching the improvements in D care. I was Dx at age 55 some 13 years ago with T-1. I don't keep it a secret, nor do I wear a sign saying that "I am a diabetic." My close friends and acquaintances know that I am a D. If asked a question about D I will gladly inform the person asking. I take advantage of any teachable moment to inform the public about D. When I was working, most of the people knew that I was a D. My supervisor had a T-1 teenage daughter so I never felt the need to hide the fact. Now I am retired so I don't come into contact with as many people. But I never feel the need to hide the fact of my D life.

I was diagnosed in 1974 at age 3. I am 41 now, 38 years of insulin dependency. I have NEVER hid my diabetes. I always figured it was safer for me if everyone knew about my diabetes. Right or wrong, people will make assumptions about behaviour. If I am stumbling around at work, I'd prefer that people know it might be due to low blood sugars and not have them assume I'm hungover.

No, not the same Terry. You're right about people not really being interested to learn the real details of diabetes. It's just human nature though. There are many health conditions besides diabetes that I know little about. I guess we all have our hands full with our own challenges. It does take effort to try and truly understand other people's challenges. Perhaps it all really boils down to rare skill of good listening. I need to get better at that!

Good post. I had a car wreck in 1958 because of a hypo. I ran off the road, but no other vehicle was involved. The police thought I was drunk, but I have never have been drunk. I don't like alcohol.

I agree with you. It may take forever to eliminate all the myths that we have forever circulating!

Hi catlover, thanks for the kind words! I hope you will always have a great, healthy life, and continue to help educate others about diabetes.

I understand your fears. My solution at work for me is to carry a sports drink like a Gatorade. I used to be a computer service engineer and was in the field; so I carried the jelly beans in the field kept a cooler with drinks in the truck. I would recommend carrying your emergency shot with you and showing a close co-worker or two. I have done this as well; now that I work in an office. I have never had a sever insulin reaction at work that required it though. Most of my serious lows usually happen at night; I have a very caring and supporting wife. That knows what to do. Good luck in finding your D compass;

I really hope so. She's expecting her 4th child in November and she's doing good.

*snicker*

I was diagnosed in March 2008, about two weeks before my 38th birthday. I'm not the stereotypical Type 2, so I feel the need to be vocal to help dissolve myths.

richard, i hope i am a healthy, happy diabetic like you when ive had D for years. i have had this less than a year but have been very open about it with friends and family. the D happened just as i was between jobs-im a teacher-and in my new job ive tried to be as natural as possible about it, testing bg and shooting up before lunch in front of my colleagues, no hiding. i think it would be so much more trouble and work to hide it! educating people about D is part and parcel of being open about it.
one of my sixth graders had it and his class recognized my hypo symptoms, so they were able to guess that i had it. it wasnt something id ever planned to tell a class, but when they asked, i couldnt deny it, knowing my D student was right there! he and i have had chats about it at breaktime!

Diabetes doesn't begin to describe who I am so it's not something I ever bring into conversation. That doesn't mean I hide it thou, the bracelet complete with a fire engine red medical cross and caduceus is there for anyone to notice and I don't hide while testing and injecting although I am descrete about it. If someone happens to be looking in my direction at the time, so be it . . most of the time people I'm with don't even notice.

I'll answer any question people ask and if D comes up in conversation I'll stick in my two cents to dispel any myths.

Thanks Richard,

I am going to keep glucose tabs at work, and I will carry some as well as all my other supplies in a bag with me in the classroom, as well as insulin in case I do get a big high to correct too. I don't usually carry that around so I will need to get a diabetic purse I think. I will have to wear clothes with pockets- I always like to test first to make sure it's really a low as sometimes I feel it is, but I have similar symptoms from other things and it isn't that low, unless it's REALLY low and then I know for sure.

Thanks Ed,

That is is good idea to carry gatorade- I used to carry that around with me and drink it all the time years before my diagnosis and then I decided it was too sugary and I switched to mostly plain water, then I switched to bottled water and to vitamin water for a bit and then back to plain filtered water.

I think I do need to start carrying the glucagon with me too, I have been carrying lovenox around, but not glucagon. Do you know if glucagon needs to be cooled at all? I'm just worried if I get that bad that I need it that no one will be able to figure it out, or that I could lose my job if I have an incident like that. One of the janitors where I teach had a seizure at work- he fell and hit his head and he was wondering around the halls in a daze after injuring himself, I heard that he was let go or had to stop working after that. I'm not sure if it was due to that though I think someone told me he had a seizure condition.

That is great your wife knows what to do and is so supportive with everything :)

I hope to find my compass over time and I hope it doesn't change too much.