Do you prefer the 1, 3, 6, 12, or 24 hour trend line view?

Just curious what other people find themselves viewing the most.

I preferred the 1 hour view when I tried out Dex but if I used Dex all the time maybe I’d prefer the 3. (?)

Has anyone found that their preference changed?

I’m guessing 3 hour is most popular because Dexcom change the default to 3 hour for the PLUS versus 1 hour for the previous model.

Does anyone think the default view should be customizable or is that not worth the effort?

3 hour works for me most of the time. If I’m trending up or down quickly, the arrows give that away so the 1 hour line has limited uility. Sometimes I’ll look at the six hour just to see how I did with the last meal, and if I’ve really had a good day, I’ll gaze at the 12 hour and pat myself on the back.

I really like the 6 hour as most of my problems happen during the night. For example if I don’t exercise just one day then my blood sugar levels tend to rise throughout night and it’s nice to see what time the rise was. I also like the 6 hour feature for when I eat that rare slice of pizza (eating pizza for me is so rare as it really throws my blood sugar levels on a roller coaster both before bed and during night).

I usually just stick with the 3 hour. I switch to the 1 hour when either I want to see more detail, or when I am not changing much and can’t see it on the 3 hour. I often look at the 6 hour when I get up in the morning.

I feel that any choices that manufacturers can give us is a good thing. So I would encourage Dexcom to make the default trend graph an option we can change.

Most of the time I look at the 3 hour graph since that is what it defaults to. But I look through all of them at different times. The most helpful to me is the 3 or the 1 hour graph.

I prefer the 1 hour view but I’m OK with the 3 hr as the default. I would much rather see Dexcom put effort on automatic scaling of the y-axis to the data rather than being stuck with a worthless fixed scale of 0-400 mg/dL. The whole point is to easily see a trend in glucose levels but you can’t do that with such a large fixed scale.

Good point, I used to want the same but gave up thinking about it since I figure it’s a lost cause (not something they will ever change). Funny how CGM/pump improvements can seem so obvious to us and yet totally ignored by
the manufacturers. I guess the FDA approval process is so laborious even for small changes that they have no desire to devote the resources.
I still hope Dexcom may eventually allow us to choose the default trend line view.
I’m reading that people are more or less ok with the 3 hour, so I guess I would be as well. The previous model I tried out did not have trend arrows, so the 1 hour view was probably more crucial than it is with the PLUS.

I like the default of 3 hours on my Seven Plus, and every once in a while go to 6 hours or more to check how things have been on a longer timescale, but in all fairness that doesn’t happen all too often.

Ciao, Luca

3 hours works for me…I seem to look at my Dex so often that the 1 hour trend isn’t useful. I never really look at the 6 or longer.

I can see each of the individual 5-minute readings in the 3-hour graph, so the 1-hour doesn’t provide anything new. (For me, it’s TOTALLY useless.) The longer ones, 6 and 12, are useful-- especially when, like Mommy-of-3, I’m going to have really extended response times to the food and drink which consumed.

Pizza is a famous “slow” food, due to all the fat content; wine is another, because my liver’s fighting the alcohol (dropping bG) while co-consumed “residual sugar” and food are pushing it up. In all 3 cases, a big rise in bG occurs many hours later.

I’d rather have a 24-hour than the one-hour.

I disagree with Kevin about auto-scaling for the y-axis (the bG readings). Just like Kevin, I spend 90+% of time in a range not even 1/4 as “tall”. But with the 0-400 fixed-scale graph, I can “feel” the graph without reading and interpreting the tiny numbers on the scales. In contrast – if my “trouble” periods where tightened, and “really tight” periods were stretched out, they’d look pretty much the same.

I graduated in science, and even I’d hate it. I probably don’t have to worry, though; the FDA would probably have a fit. It’s kinda like bringing back U-40 and U-80, and giving all 3 strengths to the same person – just for the sake of “pulling about the same amount of into the needle, while still getting the dose you want”. If you’ve been around long enough to remember those days, (“Dang, he wrote me the wrong prescription, but I’d run out of insulin and I had to buy it as he’d written it… can someone PLEASE lend me a pencil so I can figure this out ???”), congrats! You’re an old timer!

For everyone else: Yeah, you called for “pencil”, because pocket-sized calculators hadn’t been invented yet (LOL). About 40 years ago, everyone agreed to standardize on U-100, because the multiplicity of strengths caused huge numbers of dosage errors. There are still occasional errors with the U-100 and ultra-high potency products (U-500 in the USA; U-500 and/or U-400 in EU and elsewhere). But these are prescribed only for cases of extreme insulin resistance; back in the days I spoke of, there was a “splatter-gram” of all three in widespread use at the same time.

Rick, I see your point about auto-scaling. I wonder if reducing the fixed scale from 400 to 300 would be an improvement.

3 hours has been most useful to me as well. Particularly when it’s says the trend is constant and looks fairly constant at one hour but looking at past 3 hours there’s been a slight but steady decline or incline. I don’t really use the 1 hour for anything since the trend arrows reflect the same information (or more)
I like 6 and 12 hours to see the effects of meals or longer trends (like is the basal holding steady or are there periods that need adjusting potentially)
24 hours is just a nice picture of what happened over the day ~how much period of steadiness vs. spikes/drops which despite the brevity don’t actually remember