Does anybody have experience with

Lisinopril? Generic for Prinivil , Zestril. This the medication I was put on for the abnormal Kidney function test that was part of my last blood work.

The reason I ask is because it’s an ACE inhibitor. Used to control heart disease including congestive heart failure. Usually combined with a diuretic. Which I’m not on. I do have heart disease but have never been put on this medication.

Reading way down the list of purposes for this med is Kidney problems due to diabetes. Many of the side effects are really not desirable and would make me feel like I did before DX and beginning diet and medication.

I have been on it for 10 or so years now. I developed kidney damage with my second son (I was GDM with all three of my pregnancies, and in my 30s the doctors fooled me into controlling it with diet and exercise, until I developed heart disease and high cholesterol and high BP WHILE STILL SLIM), and ever since I’ve been on it. It’s a relatively common med to be on to protect the little blood vessels in your system, especially ones used by your kidneys. One of the side effects is a nagging little cough, but that went away for me pretty quickly (within the first year I took it). It’s a common regiment for most diabetics, especially T2s who maybe have other symptoms, like Metabolic Syndrome X.

I was on it and had no side effects. I’ve been on ACE inhibitors for at least 25 years, mostly Altace and now I take Diovan, which is supposed to be even better than the others as far as kidney protection.

An ACE inhibitor was suggested for David when he started to show protein in his urine, combined with an elevated BG and strong family history of heart attack/stroke.

Further tests were done following the original discussion of an ACE inhibitor by his endo, as he was only 16 at the time. The additional tests, a 25 hour blood pressure monitor revealed that he basically shows an elevated BG when he is at clinic (white coat syndrome) and 12 hour urine collections showed that his kidneys are working well overnight, so the protein spillage has been written off to excess daytime activity. The ACE inhibitor was being considered first and foremost to protect his kidneys, with the BP issue was considered as secondary.

Cheryl

I’ve been on Lisinopril for high blood-pressure for the last year. I haven’t experienced any side effects. While my high blood pressure is caused by another medication that I take, the Lisinopril seems to control the blood-pressure and (according to my doctor) offers some kidney protection for any damage my diabetes might cause.

Thank you to all of you for your input. Guess I just couldn’t wrap my head around An ACE inhibitor and kidneys. I really don’t know what I’d do without his community anymore. You people are the best.

was on Lisinopril for a week when hands and feet started swelling up, which is a side effect of Lisinopril. So none for me, thanks.

I recently started taking Lisinopril. For years I was on Enapril and Lisinopril is also a generic for Enapril. With either medication I haven’t had any noticable side effects.

I’ve been on Lisinopril and later they added the diuretic – no problems. Once more little voice . . .

I have been on Lisinopril for about 4 years, my Endo. suggested even though i don’t have high blood pressure. I was told this medication will protect my kidney’s in the long run so i am on a low dose.

same here - preventive, lowest dose.

Hi, Thomas…I’m another of these folks that have been on lisinopril for several years with no noticeable side effects. Hope the situation work out well for you. Regards, Anthony

Thanks again to all the new posters. Nothing negative showing up. Of course, I took only my second dose this morning. So far the only med I’ve ever had a side effect from. As an adult at least. Were statins. I’m told they nearly killed me with Sulfa drugs when I was either an infant or toddler. Sure glad for all the new antibiotics.