Does anybody take kidney prevention medication?

This is the first time that I heard of taking a medication for preventing kidney problems. My doctors have never mentioned it.

How long had you had diabetes when you start it? Is this something all diabetics should do?

10mg of Ramipril twice a day, and 10mg of Norvasc (a calcium-channel blocker) once a day.

I had been a diabetic about seven years when I was started on it, after my doctor noticed I had a higher than normal creatine clearance. I have no problems with my kidneys, but here in the United States, it is common to prescribe ACE inhibitors as a prophylactic against kidney disease.

I believe it is something all diabetics should take, if they can do so safely (most can).

i had that problem with several ACE inhibitors. i’m now on benicar which is working well for me.

I had diabetes for over 30 years before going on an ARB (for blood pressure and kidney protection). Us PWDs stress about blood sugars, but blood pressure control, too, is critical for protection against micro- and macrovascular complications.

MY DOCTOR ADDED LOTREL ABOUT 10YRS NOW ,TO ALL THE OTHER JUNK I’M TAKING.THERE WAS SOME DANGER THAT HAD ALREADY STARTED AND NOW IT IS ABOUT THE SAME.I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER.ACE INHIBITORS ARE THE WAY FOR DIABETICS.

After 35 years of diabetes…
40 m.g. lisinopril
I haven’t noticed any undue amount of coughing.
I don’t recall it being a noted side effect… is it?

My doctor just suggested I go on lisinopril for albumin in my urine (indicative of early kidney damage)… Wondering if maybe the lab work was off because of a high A1c, high bg in general that day, eating a lot of protein the night before, etc. Or is this definitely not a fluke?
Also, I’m hearing claims of kidney damage progressing rapidly due to the medication, so is it really helpful? And do the kidneys ever heal from minor damage or is it pretty much just that the situation won’t get worse if I take care of it, but it also will never get better?