Does diabetes cause hair loss?

This is interesting. I’ve had D for 6 years. I noticed my hair thinning substantially right at diagnosis. I had to cut it into a bob cut from long to make it look fuller and would rarely wear it down for months. I have longer hair now, but only wear it down when it’s curled for more volume or with my clip in hair extensions. It’s not in any way the hair I had even a few months before I started getting symptoms of D. I’ve always wondered if there was a connection.

Here’s another interesting topic that I’m going to use to branch off from the original. Has anyone experienced excessive body hair due to hormonal issues upon diagnosis? I’m wondering if because we lack the hormone amilyn if this would have anything to do with it?

Amylin? Is this what you meant when you typed "amilyn "?

Amylin acts in the gastrointestinal tract to slow down gastric emptying; it inhibits secretion of some digestive enzymes. It also acts in the metabolism of bone.

Excess hair can be due to hormonal issues. Patients with PCOS can experience excess hair due to elevated androgens. I believe being hypothyroid can also cause excess hair. It would certainly be prudent to bring it up with your doctor to see if it is a sign of something being off.

Right that was a typo. My phone likes to make up words as I type them. I’m thinking since hirsutism is a hormonal problem that the lack of any hormone in our bodies could contribute to it. I haven’t researched this theory but I stand firm to the belief that if one bodily function is absent it causes several domino effects contributing to a broad spectrum of health problems. I refuse to go on birth control for the issue as this causes many other much more severe issues.

Specific hormones do specific things. Not all hormones are interrelated.

Right that’s not what I was implying but thanks for your comment. I do believe that one slight hormonal imbalance can contribute to other hormonal imbalances. If one part of the body doesn’t function properly then it affects all other parts.

If one part of the body doesn’t function properly, it may impact the functioning of few, some, or many other parts of the body. It’s far more complex than a line of dominoes or “one affects all”.

ETA: The human body is infinitely complex. Which is why “modern” medicine still does a comparatively crude job of trying to mimic a fully functioning pancreas.

Good point. I never realized that one solution to a diabetic problem might not be appropriate for everyone. Diabetes is such a simple disease.

I don’t know if it was exactly hormonal but I had excessive but fine body hair all over my arms and nape of my neck at dx. They told me in the hospital it was related to my starved state at the time from untreated diabetes, and it disappeared a few weeks after I began insulin therapy. I also had lost about a quarter of the hair on my head before dx and it grew back over time once I was on insulin.

Wow that’s interesting! I know there’s a correlation between diabetes and excessive hair growth because I’ve known many other diabetics with the same issue. I only get it on my neck and it really is the strangest thing. Even with an A1C of 6 I still had the hair. I also paid a ton of money for later removal and it just came right back. I’m afraid to try hormonal treatments but that might be the only way to go. My gyno always wants to put me on birth control to stop it and I just completely refuse. There’s no way I’m going that route.

I also have dark hair and fair skin obviously so that definitely makes it more noticeable if I don’t shave it.