Does MRI with contrast affect your blood sugar?

Hi, I am going to get an MRI with contrast tomorrow morning on my right leg. I was just wondering if the contrast will affect my blood sugar? Also they said one leg will be going into the MRI machine. I have a Dexcom on my left leg inner thigh. Do you think I need to remove this prior to the MRI? They told me my right leg will only need to go in. Just wondering cause sensor is pretty accurate so far. I would hate to waste it.

I haven’t ever had an MRI but I had a CT scan with contrast a few weeks ago and I didn’t notice anything odd from my BG’s afterward. If that sensor is going anywhere near an MRI machine then I would remove it but you can ask your Dr. or the tech doing the scan if it needs to come off since they are just scanning one leg.

1 Like

When I’ve had a CT or MRI I pop the transmitter off and keep the transmitter and receiver out of the room where the machine is. I haven’t taken the sensor out and I don’t recall any problem.

1 Like

Is there anything metal on the sensor itself? Maybe I will just remove transmitter.

Contrast dyes are dangerous for renal health, and more than a few patients on dialysis are there because of them. Generally, modern medicine is prepared to cut the patient’s head off to check the patency of the veins in the neck, and then if someone complains that the patient is dead, the doctor shrugs and says, “Well, how else could we check the quality of the neck veins with perfect accuracy?” See if they would be satisfied with not using a contrast dye.

2 Likes

Take the sensor off for the MRI. Most techs will make you remove it regardless.

I have never had the contrast affect my blood glucose.

On the sensor: There is a small amount of metal in the sensors. The tip is a gold material, which the MRI machine won’t be bothered by. But what carries the sensor readings to the transmitter is a type of metal ink used to print the printed circuits on the sensor housing itself.

Here is an article that talks about it, and shows a picture of a typical sensor. This shows the Minimed sensor from about 2014, but the makeup of all current sensors is basically the same.

it effects mine. i can tell if im running low. i bring a bottle of soda with me and have it with them in the room so if i need it i can let them know. i do take out the sensor and the infusion set as im on one that manually gets put in. but i can tell if im running low

You are kidding me? Now I don’t want to use the contrast. Can i opt out of the contrast even though my Dr has written a script.

There are a lot of online sources warning about contrast dyes if you want to judge the risks for yourself. You might want to discuss any concerns with the doctor who ordered the test or with the radiologist administering the test.

1 Like

I’ve had quite a few MRI’s with contrast and no it didn’t affect my blood sugars.
You will have to take your sensor off and should have been told no metal what so ever in the MRI room.

Well I cancelled today’s appointment and will reschedule after I talk with Dr. Want to find out if contrast it’s really necessary.

You have to remove everything for an mri, pump inset dexcom etc. I’m not sure about the contrast, I havent had that done recently since d but I dont think it should. I have had a few with contrast in the past and never had any problems or renal damage from them. I was going to have one done 2 years ago but I didn’t have it for various reasons and I had to have blood work first to make sure kidney function is ok. Your doctor should do that before the mri especially since you have diabetes.

I think the main concern about contrast is impact on kidneys, which have to process it out of your system. When I had borderline kidney test results, they required me to have IV fluids first, then scan, then more fluids.

I’ve never taken my OmniPod off for a CT or MRI and I’ve had several - with and without contrast. Hmmm. I’ve asked doctors and techs and haven’t had to take either (Dex or OmniPod) off, although, as I mentioned above, I keep the Dex receiver and transmitter out of the room; the tech takes them with them for me. The PDM is often times in my purse, in the room.

It did affect my numbers and I am too running low. My readings have been below 55 for three days now and I suspect is because I still have some contrast going around. Drink a LOT of water after the MRI ( which I did not do) and make sure you get your sensor back on.

There is no need to cancel the MRI just go prepared and everything will work out.

I had a very odd time with contrast dye from a ct. it was iodine based dye.

Because I am type 1, I have a ramped up immune system, and it doesn’t take much to get it going. I also have eczema and allergies.
After I had my ct scan, I became allergic to shellfish. I can’t eat it anymore or I’ll have an insane anaphylactic response.

Over the years even fresh water fish, trout salmon, anything will give me mild allergic symptoms like swollen gums and tongue.

So I just don’t eat any fish anymore.