DP - Rising BG's in the AM

Does anyone who wears a CGM notice the minute they wake up in the morning their blood sugars just start rising, up and up? I watch on my CGM and the arrow just starts going up the minute I wake up. Also, I've been having really bad lows lately, seizure type lows, continually a few weeks ago, one where EMT's had to be called. I'm getting really nervous about all this, still on MDI and am wondering if pump will help this?

thanks!

I have noticed that! It's something that is pretty usual, and mine usually starts rising about 30 minutes to an hour before I actually wake up. I am sorry about your lows..that's really scary. I am on a pump, and I would say it helps because you can put your self on a temporarily decreased basal rate or suspend your insulin when you see your blood sugar is dropping, but I have a pump and I still get lows pretty often.

I think that Darn Phenomenon is pretty common. I find that not only does my blood sugar rise but I am also more insulin resistant in the morning. I bolus in the morning with Humalog directly to compensate for this, but I understand that you are nervous about lows. I have found that at least part of my rise can be halted by eating something, even just an egg. Maybe eating tells my body that I have energy from food and it doesn't have to send out those emergency signals that dump all that blood sugar.

Mine seems to start going up around 3:00 AM so I crank up my basal rate around 2:00 AM these days.

I think that a pump is the best way to manage DP, I never got rid of it regularly until I started pumping.

CGM + a great CDE +/- a pump or the Accu Check Expert would probably really help you.

I have two phases, one starts around 3 am and then I have a second phase that's triggered by my getting up out of bead.

If you have DP and try to gain tight control you will probably have many low BG at night. If you get a pump you can adjust your basal to take care of the times when your needs for insulin are low, and also ramp it up when your suffering from DP.

I can quash dawn phenomenon if as soon as I get up, I eat breakfast and take my usual morning dose (6 units) of fast-acting insulin.

If I do not eat, my bg just goes up and up all morning and it actually takes more insulin than 6 units, often more like 10 units, to keep it from going into stratosphere.

yes, i think i have two phases too, but sometimes i drop around 12am or 3am then i'm just so high and yes insulin resistance with all this too, sometimes it seems crazy how much insulin i take for it to come back down. eating doesn't seem to make a difference for me, seems to make it worse. i know pump is my only alternative. thanks!