Dr. Bernstein - here I come!

that's you though..I know many type 1's who eat all the things you don't, including myself and do fine, although I do tend to low carb. i eat rice cakes, no problem..never spiked, i eat bread, i eat desserts and don't spike. sometimes i do, sometimes I spike with just 10 grams of carbs in the morning, on just low carb yogurt and coffee.

well, don't we all know it...this is going to spark (ignite) the entire carb vs. low carb debate AGAIN. IMO, for those who like low carbing, go for it. For those who eat healthy diets, including carbs and do well..that's great too. Whatever floats your boat. No ONE's way is the right way, it's whatever we, as individuals, decide to do. It's our disease and we have to manage it how we see fit. Either way...best of luck!

I eat pretty much anything. I don't recall exactly what I ate on 121311 but it probably involved something suspicious in there somewhere.

I eat less carbs during the day during the week because it will stay steadier and also provide data that I find more reliable in saying "hey, wait, that ratio needs adjustment" because the numbers aren't where they should be. I think that doctors should be more amenable to finding a sensible plan, but also helping people figure out that maybe a different ratio and supporting enough extra tet strips to fund say a celebration every week would be a way that the medical community might be able to help people be a bit more diverse dietwise? I don't ever say "I'm not going to eat that because I'm diabetic" but regularly turn stuff down and cite my "pantsometer" that used to be set to 44", 10" bigger than it's set on today!

yeah...and look at you; you flatliner, svelte runner you! ha! :)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

well, it was a challenging project to change things but I still "celebrate" most evenings and weekends. heh heh heh...

GOOD FOR YOU!

Restaurant coping strategy:

1. bring a small scale
2. weigh and eat 1 roll (usually ~20-25g carbs)
3. order grilled fish (I don't eat meat - but if you do, your choices are broader) with vegetables
4. drink a bit of wine
5. carry an apple for dessert (usually ~20 carbs weighed ahead of time or at the table). If others order cakes, etc. just order coffee or tea and eat the apple.

I avoid all Chinese restaurants and "fancy" restaurants where I can't tell what is in my food.

Maurie

I don’t see anything wrong with sparking the Carb vs. the Low Carb debate again as long as we don’t digress into personal criticisms and name-calling. Sometimes I learn the most from some of the more heated debates…

I personally don’t pretend to know the right answers for me and certainly don’t know the right answer for everyone else. I personally cannot match carbs to insulin very well. I spike quickly from carbs and have definite action from insulin 4 hours out. Oin the other hand, I feel gross when I don’t eat carbs. So I do my best day to day.

I’ve had Type 1 for 35 years and have no kidney, eye, or nerve problems. I’ve had my share of chocolate donuts, but in general I try to minimize junk food. I’ll never be a member of the flat liners club, but I haven’t had an A1c above 6 in 10 years.

So let’s argue about carbs. Just be nice about it.

My way (pro celebration...) Is the right way!!!

I think there is also room for personal variation here. All of our bodies are different and it stands to reason that some people are better equipped to handle both carbs and diabetes. There are actually different kinds of type 1, and some folks with type 1, for unknown reasons, maintain some level of insulin production, thus making control easier.

And why are there some people with Type 1 who have lived with the disease for decades without complications (through periods of time where insulin purity was questionable and there was no way to check BGs at home) and others develop complications in the first 20 years of living with type 1? My endo has told me that they really believe these disparities have more to do with the etiology of the underlying disease than what people do in the course of managing their disease.

What concerns me lately, however, is this drastic move towards "eat whatever you want provided you take the right amount of insulin" mentality. I feel like too many parents are trying to treat their kids "normally" and, in the course of doing so, have BGs bouncing all over the place. When I was growing up, the mentality was high-protein/low-carb. Obviously there were no pumps back then, but this approach (for the most part) worked fairly well. Yes, it was restrictive, and yes it sometimes sucked. But I am beginning to think it worked a tad better.

I don't know...I do love my pump and the freedom I have to occasionally eat something that was forbidden during my childhood, but I LOVE even better the days when I can keep my BGs under 150 and above 70. I feel better. And if that means I don't eat a piece of cake at a party or a piece of pizza at lunch, well, I'm fine with that.

yeah, and back in those days they weren't counting or low carbing either. my point excactly. i think a child should be able to eat normally, healtfully and I know many type 1's who do and do fine. have a snack, a piece of fruit and enjoy..had me a nice small brownie the other day...worked out great and tasted great too. went to lunch with a type 1 on a pump, she had burger (with bun) fries and beer and her 2hr ppl was 125. so, there ya go! can't imagine going through life without bread or fruit or many other things...and I'm a tiny, skinny woman! learn your own body and enjoy.

I'd be interested to know what the 3 hour # was? Was the 125 going up or down? I have practiced that a lot and, depending on how huge the pile of protein in the burger is, or maybe the grease/ fry ratio or various other factors (cheese? bacon? hmmm...), the lunch may not have fully deployed in 2 hours? When I eat big, I usually check in an hour and do a CB, although lately, things seem to be going nicely by upping my basal for a couple of hours at that point instead, that way, I see the "crossover point" (cf. Robert J. McNamara...) when it starts to drop and just kill the temp basal then. It seems to work a bit more smoothly that way. Maybe the CGM is "cheating" but well, if it works, maybe it's worth a "shot" (ha ha...)

Carb counting is not easy. Blood Sugar swings in t-1's are normal. When i eat out i estimate the carbs in my food and bolus accordingly. Better to err on the side of low carbs because i can always do a correction bolus later. Need to watch those lows!

i don't know. she's been a type 1 since age 3 and seems to do great, she's never low carbed. YMMV.

OMG Lathump... you are a hero! You haven't had an A1c above 6 in 10 years!!!! You definitely know your own body! Huge applause to you!
And everyone of us... we are all heroes! Managing to live well with this nightmare is a real accomplishment, no matter what your strategy is. I am awed by all these helpful responses.

Yes but you are super human and most people can't do what you do to get there realistically. I admire your ability to do it, but I don't see some looser deviations within reason as a problem for those who cant run 10 miles a day and eat very little. ;-)

Well I hope for her sake that she stays that way! I was one of the "lucky" ones for years, eating a healthy balanced diet including carbs and just adjusting bolus based on carb counting. As I've aged, I no longer have that ability. Now a meal including significant carbs will have me in the clouds fighting my way down until the next meal. As effortless as eating used to be for me as a young Type I, it's now that more difficult as an aging Type I. Aging has also brought on DP for me, which I never had to deal with in my younger years.

I've tested friends, family too, various times...ranged from 72 to 120's...none have diabetes....there have been many studies showing that many non-diabetics can go to 140 right after a meal too. I don't think that's true, that a non-diabetic stays in the range of 78-88. I've seen and heard too many other studies..but, that's just my opinion and what every endocrinologist has told me too.

Sally,

I've found the same testing friends & family. The few highs my husband has had very quickly come down to normal 80's. Fantastic you're able to stay within such a wonderful range!

LOL- Only because Been there, Done that, many-a-times..
Bernsteins plan? Sure, If you have the Self Discipline , but I doubt it will last

IWhat did I do? "IF I DON"T KNOW THE CARBS? I DON'T EAT IT!"

Sorry, but that is the ONLY thing that has helped me..
Now you can Drag along a Weigh Scale everywhere you go and Use your IPAD to connect to Calorie King and some others ?

Manytimes, eating out? Nothing Fancy, just what I know.. Chopped Steak, Salad with V&0 and Palm size of Veggies.. and that's it!

Of course, Got to be In Range Before Eating too, right? That's Half the Battle..
( 80-110 for me or I take an additional CB )

Don't you Just Hate those Hypo's during something Important? Ruins everything..