Dr. Fuhrman eat for health. Good? Bad? Or neither?

Has anyone heard anything about Dr. Furhman’s books and claims?

http://www.drfuhrman.com/disease/Diabetes.aspx

I am just beginning research on diets and supplements and there is so much stuff out there it is hard to figure out what is real and what is fake.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Judith,

I just got diagnosed and am waiting for my tester. (should start tomorrow) My doc wants me to test 3 times a day to start with.

Eating to your meter basically figuring out what works for me based on my readings correct?

Thanks!

Eat to your meter, in a T2 context, is testing to find out which foods are causing damaging spikes and then restricting or eliminating them. Likely candidates are grains, potatoes, fruit, sugar, and legumes. But instead of taking this list on faith you test and determine which foods are causing you problems, For instance most fruit causes me to spike but strawberries in limited quantities are OK.

For a good explaination of how eat to your meter works go to the bloodsugar101 website and click on the link in the upper right "How to lower your bloodsugar"

Bernstein's approach works for me although I am a little looser on the carbs than he recommends. A good general overview is "Type 2 Diabetes the First Year" by Gretchen Brecker. She offers good explanations of what is going on and an overview of various approaches to treating T2

Thanks for info BadMoon!

I have looked at the Brecker book, I think I will get it. I already purchased the bloodsugar 101 in book form to have that as well.

Thanks again!

I also purchased the Harvard Medical guide to Diabetes.

I am pretty good at research and am a bit bookish. :slight_smile: So hopefully that will prove helpful.

My next step is to get an exercise bike.

The bloodsugar101 website and book are esentialy the same. You might also want to check out the author's blog. Being bookish is a definite advantage as diabetes is a do it yourself disease.

Exercise is a very useful tool in controlling T2, I bought an elliptical soon after diagnosis. Plain old walking works pretty well too.

You sound like you are off to a good start and have a good attitude about making the necessary changes good luck!

To be able to figure out what as a diet you eventually have to start testing both before and about 2 hours after meals. Testing only 3 times a day before meals won’t provide the information you need. You should ask for a prescription for the additional test strips as soon as you’re comfortable taking the next step.

Maurie

I’ve read Dr. Fuhrman’s book and looked at his teachings. I found diets and supplements are not supported by science and he comes from a background of potentially dangerous bias. And many of the claiims appear to be without basis. As a huge supporter of PETA and a founding member of the PCRM, he has major reasons for encouraging people to undertake a vegetarian diet. Unfortunately, those reasons have nothing to do with your health. You can try it out, but for many T2s a low carb diet is a key to improved blood sugar control.

I’ve been following Dr. Fuhrman’s “Eat to Live” program for almost three years with great results. I stopped all my medications (Janumet) on 1-09, A1c has been at 6.0% within three months of starting the program (8.9% at dx), lost 70 lbs without counting calories, carbs, fat grams, etc. High BP went down to 123/70, my endocrinologist said, “Whatever you’re doing, keep doing it - no reason for any meds…Labs are excellent.”

Nothing fake about Dr. Fuhrman…he’s devoted his life to improving health.

Here’s my info on his website: (if the link doesn’t work, click “success stories” at the top of the web page. I’m the sixth one down - “Tony”).

http://www.drfuhrman.com/success/SuccessStory.aspx?id=325

1 Like

Thanks Maurie!,

Just got my tester last night. Will begin to test today.

It definitely seems like there is no “one size fits all” plan to when it comes to diabetes and diets etc. etc.

I wrote this to help you use that new meter to your best advantage: Test, Review, Adjust

Come back with lots of questions after you read that.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia
Everything in Moderation - Except laughter

I was going to write a long response; I'm glad I read yours first.

Well said.

I would avoid this author, and any authors or doctors associated with PETA or PCRM, like the plague.

I think you’re confusing Dr. Fuhrman with Dr. Neal Barnard.

Actually, no. Fuhrman and Barnard are co-conspirators. Look here, right below the bio for Barnard, it just happens to be our dear comrade Joel Fuhrman.

At that link, I don’t see any reference to PETA or PCRM. Nevertheless, as I posted below, his recommendations have kept me off ALL medications for diabetes and everything else, in addition to solving my weight problem forever.

I spent over $5,000.00 on the ER bill and medications that made me ill when all I ever needed was reading his $15.00 book: “Eat to Live.”

Therefore, whatever organizations he belongs to are completely irrelevant to me…as they should be to anyone seeking optimal health.

1 Like

Thanks Alan!

I have already begun to test at least 4 times a day. And am making major adjustments to the diet.

I know what you mean. I also moderate my moderation at times :slight_smile:

We all need holidays.

But reality bites when I look at my meter later and I return to normal life.

Hi xring,

Congrats on the weight loss and improved glycemic control! Great accomplishments. I’m glad you’ve had success with Dr. Fuhrman’s diet. I know others have as well. However, I was following a diet very similar to this for years, and I ended up with impaired glucose tolerance/early DM. The only way I’m able to keep my blood sugar from spiking after meals is with a low carbohydrate diet, and I’m extremely happy and feel better than ever with this way of eating. This just demonstrates that what works for one person doesn’t work for everyone. I’m happy you’ve found what works for you :slight_smile:

Agreed – one can’t get rid of diabetes. Controlling our BG levels is the best weapon we have to avoid future complications.

Sorry, I embedded the link to the PCRM web site. If you click the link http://www.pcrm.org/news/bios/nutrition.html, it will take you to the PCRM site and show you the list of “PCRM nutrition experts.” If you have any doubt concerning the relationship between PCRM and PETA, just enter the following phrase into google "PETA site:www.pcrm.org."

I am glad the diet was able to help you. But other people find just the opposite. Before I accept advice from an “expert,” I want to know enough about their background that I can have confidence in their advice. In the case of PCRM and the nutrition advice from Fuhrman, Barnard, Campbell, McDougal and others, the lack of scientific basis and direct and explicit ties to animal rights activists gives me serious pause.