Elizabeth Hughes, T1, 1919-1981

Elizabeth Hughes was born in 1908, and diagnosed in 1919, two years before the discovery of insulin. She followed a starvation diet until insulin was discovered in 1921. Here is her story:

http://diabetesinsight.ie/2012/02/90-years-of-insulin-the-story-of-elizabeth-hughes/

6 Likes

thank you for the story.

Richard:

your note reminds me that my favorite book about diabetes is

Breakthrough: Elizabeth Hughes, the Discovery of Insulin, and the Making of a Medical Miracle

Rick

4 Likes

Such a wonderful story, dear Richard. Thank you for keeping us posted on her life…Blessings

1 Like

Great read! I read this book when I was first diagnosed. Its really inspiring and so much history interwoven throughout her story as well.

Thanks for sharing! :relaxed:

Busybee

2 Likes

i’m going read the book.

2 Likes

For most of my life, reading is how I found my way in the world. After my dx, I went to our Powell’s Book Store—the first in the country to shelve used and new books together—and bought up everything I could find—a whole shelf or three of insight into this new beast…

Anyway—memoirs are a marvelous and Timeless way to learn, as are biographies and autobiographies…Never discount them as outdated. The history that we share is vital to moving forward as a powerful force for change—better treatments, more easily and affordably accessible!..Blessings for all in the new year…

2 Likes

Books are a wonderful resource, aren’t they, Judith?

1 Like

so far i like it can’t put it down.

1 Like