Embarrassed of diabetes?

While I realize that ya’ll are dealing with Type 1, may I comment also? Honestly, this struck such an emotional response in my heart…frankly, I feel that people with T1 should never, ever feel embarrassed or ostracized due to a clearly medical situation which is not caused by anything they have, or have not, done. What I deal with is the almost constant shameful feelings of having T2 because this is something which I have “done” to myself by not living a healthier lifestyle. At least that’s the biggest response I get from others. My physician isn’t judgmental but after two incredibly difficult pregnancies and dealing with insulin and gestational diabetes, I should have been more careful. Frankly, though, 20 years ago my doctors mentioned that I would be at a higher risk but never told me to have checkups or any type of monitoring. Off I went into my life as a mom and never really worried again…nor did I lose much of the extra weight. Now I deal with the fallout. That’s definitely an embarrassment…there’s no way to get around the fact that this is all my fault.
You, my dear, should have nothing to feel embarrassed about!! Still, I do understand not wanting to check your sugars in front of people you aren’t comfortable with. I wish for you to be surrounded by lots of wonderfully supportive and comforting friends!

"You, my dear, should have nothing to feel embarrassed about!! " NO diabetic has anything to be embarrassed about regarding having diabetes. It’s a GENETIC disease – so unless you chose your parents, then no, it’s not your “fault”. BILLIONS of people eat imperfectly and they don’t have diabetes. We do. Not because we’re imperfect in our behavior, but because we have defective genes.

Stop apologizing for being a type II and tell the ignorant to kiss your hind foot. You’re no more “responsible” for your diabetes than for your natural hair color, your natural eye color, or the shape of your ears. It’s genetic.

JeanV or how I wish I could of choose my parents. My family is so genetically messed up.

I’ve never been embarassed by my diabetes, and in fact, I use the questions as a opportunity to educate people. But I can understand feeling different can be an issue. Hopefully you can find a way to move past this, because if something happens to you and people don’t know you’re a diabetic, it could be dangerous.

At first I was. Now it’s just a whatever type of thing. I had to get used to it quick in public. I was diagnosed in the middle of the baseball season and I umpire 300 baseball games/summer so I ended up testing everywhere and anywhere I could when I’m out on the field. If I’m out to dinner or at another person’s house I will excuse myself and go the restroom to check and inject. If it’s around people I know, I could care less. The majority of people are so used to seeing diabetics anymore that they could really care less, especially since you have a pump and you’re not stabbing yourself with a needle. The majority of people are really cool about it in my experience. Very few people freak out and if they do, tell them to go screw themselves. Literally, it usually shuts them up quick.

SuFu

honestly Kandace yes I have felt like you and even hidden my diabetes but then for some reason I changed I guess it was the worry of if anything was to happen ppl would not know wat to do so to prevent it I opened up and a lot of the time ppl do not always react how we imagine they will.

I’ve never felt embarrassed about having diabetes…BUT…I do get irritated when trying to explain what diabetes is to someone that doesn’t know what it is. When someone finds out I have diabetes the usual response I get is, “Oh wow, I guess you had too much sugar when you were younger.” At first, I use to get defensive but eventually as I got older I learned to accept that people who don’t know, well, just don’t know. I don’t think they mean to be offensive, they’re just basing their opinion on false information. So, no I don’t feel embarrassed about being a diabetic, but I don’t walk up to random people and say “Hi I’m a diabetic!!” if they see me testing my BG then they see me testing my BG, if they want to ask me what I’m doing- cool. If they want to assume I’m some type of weirdo- cool. haha, I learned to accept that not everyone knows what diabetes is.

I’m not saying what you’re feeling is wrong, everyone is different. Some don’t mind being open about their diabetes, others keep it on the low. Just do you, and if people can’t accept you for you then tell them to GET WIT IT OR GET GONE!!

When I was first diagnosed, I did feel embarrased about having diabetes and testing in public. But the more that I took classes and the more I learned, the less embarrased I felt about it. I normally don’t test in front of everyone, but I don’t hide it eather. I will test in the bathroom when I’m at the gym or at a restaurant, but I do it next to the sink where I have access to wash my hands. But with time, I lost that embarrassment that I felt at first and now I even promote TuDiabetes to my clients by haivng brouchours at my desk, and even at my brother’s desk since we work together. If anyone asks, I do talk openly about Diabetes and have found out that quite a few of my clients have diabetes also. Then we feel a connection and are able to talk more freely and compare BG levels and recipes. I find out what works for them and tell them what works for me also. So I encourage people to get educated about it.

Let me try and relate what I have experianced to you like this… when I was diagnosed around 22 years ago in elementary school kids alienated me because they were afraid they would catch it and the teachers forced me to eat snacks out in the hall way instead of in the class room. so I understand not wanting to bring attention to yourself but let me just add that last week I burried my brother-in-law diabetic the same amount of time as I have been and the same age. he didn’t take care of himself until the past few months of his life and that was to late so dont let other people determine your fate by allowing yourself to feel different because as a sociology and criminology major that is a 30 yr old diabetic that has had the condition for the past 22 yrs I asure you they feel just as diffrent most of the time as well.

I think the only thing I am embarrassed about it the fact that when people ask me about it they automatically assume I gave diabetes to myself, which is not the case. I just say we have to keep our head held high and move on. We are just like everyone else but with a different look on life. Lows, could be my only embarrassment. I seem to get them in the worst situations.

I know exactly how you feel. I’m not ashamed or anything, I just prefer not to get drilled with questions. This is still very new to me so maybe it will wear off.

I have to admit I have been embarrased when I’m out and trying to talk to a girl, I keep my pouch with my Meter, Alchol pads and lancets and pen needle tips on my hip or belt loop at all times while out and Insulin Pen and a pack of Glucose Tabs in my pocket. Its all pretty noticble. I mean its hard to get your confidence up there when your first conversation may somehow get steered towards an Affliction you have, I’m just not that smooth to have a clever way of explaining my accessories and somehow even having a band that says DIABETES isnt enough of an explaination, but I’m never going to not carry it all. Its just part of the deal, I’m really never that way otherwise, I was just watching the UFC Fights saturday at the bar I whipped out the meter and checked my BG before I decided what to order, it was 83, so i got a Yngelling, first one in over 4 months :), The Bartender asked “what the hell are you doing?” i just replied, “I’m diabetic, i have to. Unless you want me to pass out infront of you” She didnt bother me the rest of the night but to ask if i was okay once or twice through the night. So I understand but never sacrifice your health or what we must do for the sake of public image, if the person is worth a damn they wont make ya feel embarrased about it.

Hi Kandace,
I think I know exactly how you feel. I used to feel the exact same way, most especially ever since I started using an insulin pump. I first got my pump about 10 years ago, when I went to college. I was so embarrassed to wear a pump and to show anyone my pump. I was not embarrassed to be a diabetic, but to have a machine hooked to me was very difficult in the beginning. I believe that my “being embarrassed” had only decreased as I became older and changed my attitude to a “I don’t care what anyone thinks about me anymore” and to continue doing what I need to do to be healthy. It took me a long time to overcome this feeling, but, now…I love to talk about my pump and my diabetes, since this technology is really pretty awesome. The more I talk about it, the more I find out that so many others have a pump too. What you are feeling is very normal, but, I am most positive that you will overcome this feeling sooner than later. I, to this very day, still like to “hide” my pump in my bra. I use a pump strap. I still do not want anyone to see my pump, in the chance that some people that don’t know me well, will wonder what my pump is, or make assumptions without knowing what the device is. This pump strap makes me feel comfortable and confident. But, that is my personal opinion only.

I was embarrassed of my pump while I had it so I went off. Otherwise, I could care less who sees me taking a shot or measuring my glucose. That being said, the people in my life are very supportive and even those that are fearful of blood suck it up when I announce that I’m checking. Do I still get grief from people that don’t understand? Ha! I got held in Delhi’s international airport for taking a shot in the restroom… but they found me lots of Diet Cokes and curried roti after providing a hefty apology for the misunderstanding. ;o)