Exactly a year since my T1 diagnosis

It was exactly a year ago when I was at my GP's office in a state of stunned disbelief. A1c of 8.8% and a fasting glucose number of 236 for that morning. No history of diabetes in my family. It just didn't make sense. The panic and dread was overwhelming.

Strangely, this has been a blessing and a curse. At time of diagnosis I had settled into a comfortable, sedentary, middle-aged spread. 30 lbs overweight, little to no exercise and an average diet high in processed carbs. After my initial shock I realized I faced a choice: tackle this thing head on or do nothing and face the disastrous and inevitable consequences of poorly managed or unmanaged diabetes. Fortunately, this is one of very few chronic conditions where we have the ability to greatly influence the outcome.

It's not been an easy road, but thanks to what I've learned from the people on this site, Dr. Bernstein, Jenny Ruhl and others, I'm now the healthiest I've been in my life. Ever.

Now my same Dr. is in a state of stunned disbelief. He told me yesterday I'm in the top 1% of all of his patients. My last A1c was 4.7% (better than when I had a pancreas that worked), I've shed the 30 extra pounds and am in outstanding physical condition, and all my vitals are in the ideal ranges.

If given the choice to no longer have this horrible disease, would I take it? Of course. The upside, however is that it has forced me to lead a much more health-conscious life than when I was "healthy."

1 Like

CONGRATS, Christopher, your story is awesome. I'm 3 years out from the same shocking diagnosis ("What? I have what? Why? Huh?") I immediately read Dr. Bernstein's book and then got Jenny Ruhl's, and I agree, I started eating healthier and basically living healthier than ever. I modified what my kids eat (they still eat carbs but MANY fewer)and more lean meats and vegetables than ever. I have my rough moments, my moments where I am stressed and discouraged and my blood sugars aren't knocking it out of the park. But overall, the overall long-term change in diet in particular is one that I view as a necessity if I want to live a full and healthy life, so in a way, I agree....we're "lucky" (?) since we don't really have any other choice.

Anyway, congrats on your awesome A1C and your awesome health. All the best as you head into year 2!

Congrats to you. I had the same initial experience as you about my diagnosis. It took me about a year to get into the swing of things as far as my knowledge and understanding of the disease as it pertained to my body. Like you, I feel the healthiest I have ever been from a nutritional standpoint. I ran my first marathon this year and am training for my second one. I love my diet and have learned to cook and bake things that I actually prefer to carb-laden things. So I get your "silver linings' attitude. However, I still hate the disease and wish I didn't have it. That, I am afraid, will never change.

Wow, outstanding. Watch out, you will asked to be a poster boy!

That's smokin! 4.7 is amazing! I can run in the low 5s but, for whatever reason, I've never driven it lower. Maybe it's low carb 2/3 of the day and brewskis to celebrate in the evening? Great job though!!

Happy Anniversary and Congratulations!! I'm suprised you're only in the top 1%. I can't imagine that one in a hundred T1s ever touch the 4s.

A1c-4.7!! That's fantastic! Wonderful to hear that you are doing so well. That was courageous of you to take the right path. Congrats!

congratulations on the weight loss, awesome a1c and amazing will power! i agree with you, would so rather not have this sucky disease, but the good (ish?) things are that i am eating healthier than EVERYONE i know, without exception, i feel fabulous, without the dips in energy i used to feel with a carb heavy diet, and i exercise and love it.

wow that sounds really positive. so let me just add that the rest sucks! haha. congratulations again and keep it up! youve done a great job and should be proud!

Thanks! To clarify, this was our family Dr., not my endo who made that statement. Top 1% of all his patients (who are overwhelmingly non-diabetics). My local endo has a by-the-book ADA mentality. I'm a freak in his opinion who is flirting with disaster and he's told me quite bluntly he'd be much happier with me if my A1c were over 6% and I'd stop my crazy low-carb diet and get some whole-grains back into my meals. I suspect of his patients, I'm the only one who's sub 5% A1c, and one of a handful who is sub 6%.

I became a patient of Dr. Bernstein last year, so my local endo only serves as a backup, fortunately.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone, and kudos to you as well. I know this is just the beginning of a long journey and I'm in awe of you who've managed this horrible disease for many more years than me.

Christopher - Let me offer a belated congratulations for squarely facing your diagnosis and figuring out “your” path to make it better. You’ve reached conclusions that took me 28 years with this miserable disease to understand.

What’s your experience with BG variability? Do you follow your standard deviation number that’s available on some BG meters? Do you ever go below 60 mg/dL?

You were wise to ignore the advice of your local endo. I’m sure he’s operating with good intentions. He won’t take into consideration how your low carb diet is making your 4.7% A1c possible wihtout undue hypo risk. The typical endo is so hypo-phobic that they would easily trade your normal A1c for what they think is a “safe” one with zero exposure to hypos. Little do they realize that their ignorant embrace of high carb high insulin dose management is actually much more dangerous than the low carb path you’ve chosen.

One thing that you probably already understand is that you likely have some residual native insulin production. This makes BG management a bit easier. As this function diminishes control can become somewhat harder. On the plus side, your excellent control will minimize developing diabetic complications.

I am so impressed with your bold persistence! Keep it up.

just curious, did you test positive for the antibodies and a low cpeptide, usually a GP doesn't know how to test for type 1, and most type 1's are losing weight at diagnosis not gaining. just curious? type 1 isn't a chronic condition (maybe like type 2), type 1 is an autoimmune disease which really has very little to do with food, initially or weight gain or loss. Usually at the time of Dx type 1's are indeed consuming tons of foods etc...but we're losing weight because of the autoimmune distruction and inability to process or retain any calories, we're in a state of starvation, typically.

Everyone’s diabetes is different Sarah. Not really appropriate for you to be challenging the op about whether she’s t1 or not.

not challenging at all, just curious...GP's don't typically know about diagnosing type 1 correctly.

I lost weight at dx...lots and rapidly....from being thin to begin with...and I am indeed a Type 2. Busy...Active....eating the RIGHT foods, BUT still got TYPE 2, even though both types are rampant in my family...and was tested.
Type 2 is indeed NOT a one size fits all...as no diabetes is.

i'm not saying it is. but type 1 is still considered rare and is still diagnosed mostly in children, most of whom, of course, don't low carb or lose weight to get BG's down. It would be a shame for someone to be told they're type 1 or type 2 without a proper diagnosis. As I mentioned, I don't know of any GP who knows how to diagnosis for type 1 properly...so I was curious. The poster mentioned she/he was gaining weight so I'm not sure if that fits into type 1...IDK, i'm posing the question, that's all.

the poster also mentioned he is on orals and takes byetta and not a meal insulin dose, I believe that's what he posted...so, i was just curious. Orals typically aren't Rx'd for newly Dx'd type 1's and can actually be harmful, sometimes Metformin is used but it's typically for long termed type 1's who develop, over time, some insulin resistance. I don't know too many newly diagnosed type 1's who use byetta either. If fact, it is strongly recommended type 1's NOT use byetta:

Important information about Byetta
Do not use Byetta to treat type 1 diabetes

Type 1 diabetes is not diagnosed mostly in children. It is and always has been mostly adult onset. According to the CDC, about 56% of newly diagnosed Type 1s are age 20 or greater, and the CDC states that that percentage does not include the slow-onset Type 1s (who actually far outnumber the rapid-onset Type 1s of any age). It's just a myth that Type 1 is a childhood disease, and a dangerous myth at that. So many of us adult-onset Type 1s are misdiagnosed as a result of that dangerous myth.

i was diagnosed type 1 as an adult, as were you, wrongly misdiagnosed as type 2 on my way to DKA. The statistics vary; from every report i've read and what many endos have told me, about 5% of the entire population (some say 8%) are diagnosed with type 1 with the remaining % type 2, 16% of those newly diagnosed (some say 20%) are adult onset 20 years or older. Also, depends on what country.

"Type 1 diabetes is the most prevalent chronic disease in childhood and it is also the most frequent form of diabetes in subjects diagnosed before age 19"

Hi Sarah

Yes - tested positive for antibodies and my C-peptide plummeted from 1.2 to 0.2 within 4 months of diagnosis. My endo is Dr. Bernstein.

Christopher