Exercise ideas to lower BG

“When my BG are sky-high, I tend to do 3x30 squats (with 2-3-5 mins breaks) and check my sugars again. You build the glutes and your lower back as an added bonus.”

Thanks. @thracion. I probably won’t be able to do 3 x 30 right away. But something to work on. Il try them tonight instead of elliptical. Do planks lower your bg at all? If so how long do you have to hold them? Thanks!

I just have a question to throw out.
I am t2 diet and exercise only. LCHF 40 to 50 carbs a day.
My only problem has been exercising in the evening. Not only does my bs drop (60 or so) which is not awful, but my energy disappears even after consuming fast acting carbs. Then the next day I my BG tends to run on the low side and again low energy level. It has happened when doing body pump class
R recently when recently I have been taking a clas in race walking.
No problems wit morning or afternoon similar exercise. Any thoughts.?

Great, Gracie! Tell us how it goes and what is the effect.
Of course you should go with your own pace, do what feels good and then push a couple more (the way to progressively increase the count).
Planks aren’t likely to help nearly as much. The BG-lowering effect we get is generated from the actual contraction of the glutes / other muscles. You may try sit-ups, but personally when having a high, sit-ups feel like the last thing to do. Also a burst of squats takes like 30 seconds.

1 Like

I also do stairs when I need to bring it down but not way down. Comes down faster, the faster I go up and down. The dog thinks I’m crazy but it works.

4 Likes

YOUTUBE!!! Everything is on there lol you can find great cardio classes on there. On a side note I’m amazed your sugar drops that much an an elliptical. I can get those results on a treadmill. I find elliptical more anaerobic and drops me post work out as where walking drops me during the walk. Interesting!

2 Likes

Hi @Ali4 thanks for the suggestion - I’ll check out You Tube. I don’t have a treadmill - but my blood sugar drops faster using an elliptical than it does when I’m walking. I set the elliptical on a medium high level so there is a fair amount of of resistance. It has movable handlebars so I can still get an upper body workout when my legs get tired.

Van, that is exactly what I do…The sooner after eating I can get outside and walk (I walk 1- 2 miles everyday in the evening), The faster My postprandial BGs come down. I am on a pump utilizing Dr. Bersteins methods and in the last 2 weeks that I have incorporated his methods into my careplan My BGs have flattened out and normalized. I would run in the upper 200s to mid 300s all the time. Now, mid 70’s to upper 90’s PLUS I’ve lost 15 lbs…

2 Likes

@thracion Want to thank you for the squat suggestion. I ate some fruit tonight and forgot to bolus. Within minutes my bg was 140 and rising. Did a bunch of squats - for 2-3 minutes - enough so that I could feel my heart beating faster and my legs burned - and after 10 minutes my bg had leveled out at 140 and started going down. After 45 minutes 118 and all is well. Thanks so much again!

1 Like

Wow that’s excellent! I am so glad I could help.
I started nowadays developing a habit of walking after each meal to make that insulin work.
But it is not practical in each case, like in the office. But I can always excuse myself to the restroom and do a bunch of squats to cancel the rising trend.
Keep up taking care of yourself and all the best!

1 Like

Great question & wonderful thread. Many great ideas!

I agree. A steep hill works super well in bringing down my BSL quickly. Brisk exercise is part of my routine - at least an hour or two ever day.

1 Like