Expired Insulin

I have some old vials of Humalog in my fridge from literally nine years ago. I never used them because I preferred to use the Quickpen.

I have just gotten the Omnipod where I am now filling it from a vial. I’m wondering about these old Humalog vials. They are still sealed in the boxes they came in and have been continuously refrigerated. Is there any chance they could still be used? I suppose I could inject some and see if it works.

Just wondering…

1 Like

That is really the best test as you have no idea how stable your refrigeration has been all these years.

1 Like

I would throw them away. If the stuff fails, the results are so disastrous that its not worth it. If your starting new tech, that’s enough risk. You don’t need to do that.

There’s the potential for partially effective insulin, fully effective insulin, or totally non-effective insulin. The result is that you have no idea how much insulin your taking. That’s a recipe for failure. You stand to loose expensive pods this way. Cut your losses. You need to evaluate if your dose is effective in a new device and know that any failures are hardware failure.

I would not recommend injecting. Insulin breaks down and what the break down products are, I don’t know, but the thought of injecting unknown chemicals into my body is not appealing.