Farting Against Thunder

Hello one and all and no one!

I write today to remind you about something quite important. Something we as Diabetics tend to obsess over, me definitely included. Something we hurt over, cry over and often get angry about. I am one who for the majority of my T1Diabetic journey has been farting against thunder when it comes to people not understanding how extremely hard a diabetic lifestyle can be. ■■■■■■■ in the wind when I try to get people to understand how mentally debilitating having to think about it day after day can be.

But I’m not writing as a cry out for understanding. I’m not writing to tell you how angry I am, but rather how accepting I have become. How for the majority of my life I had no clue and didn’t care to have a clue about what Type 1 Diabetes was and is, and come being diagnosed I had the nerve to judge people for not understanding me. If it weren’t for my getting this disease, I would be saying those exact stupid comments we tend to resent as Diabetics. In fact, I would probably be more clueless than the people who I assume to be uneducated.

I will probably do this again and again, until I am on my death bed, whether from diabetes complications or something else. But try and remember today how you felt before diagnosis. It could be that you didn’t know anything about the disease, or you knew plenty and didn’t particularly care. For those who have been diagnosed earlier than they remember, think about how little you might know about other diseases and how those people might feel just as frustrated as you.

So next time you want to wring the neck of the next supposed ‘dumb ■■■’ that doesn’t have a clue what you go through. Put yourself back into their non-diabetic fun filled disease free shoes and ask yourself what they would be thinking.

Leena.

Nicely said Kathleen ;) I can attest to the fact that other conditions invite equally uneducated comments.

I have always found it important to have other ways to define myself (rock star, bookworm, martial artist, runner...) and work to make sure that diabetes doesn't get in the way of the other stuff. Some of that, particularly rock star but also the few years where I didn't do much but read obsessively, wasn't really healthy but starting to channel myself into working out has been really good for me, both physically and mentally. I'm not going to "win" any races (although I was 7/53 in my age group in my first 5K, LOL...no where **near** that result since then!) but feel like I'm winning the game of life. Diabetes is annoying but I won't let it stop me. I also loathe using the term "diabetic", perhaps another OCD thing but I'll only use it in the context of the group names here on Tu that I can think of?

Good perspective, Leena. Thanks so much for sharing it. Compassion is crucial in life.

I think about this a lot. Just as you say, I had little understanding of what it meant to be T1. Most people do not. Being a person who rarely got sick, even with a cold, I had no real understanding of what it really meant to deal with a chronic condition. That has all changed and I hope to never have to understand another disease as I do this one.

Your right.. As much as I want to disagree with you, your absolutely correct! There are so many different things out there, but human nature is to be "afraid" and run like hell before learning all the facts....

My sister...
You are so incredibly mature! That's what I love about you. You have gone through so much since you were diagnosed, but you still keep your head high, and try find ways to learn, understand and accept. You are such an inspiration to everyone - especially me! I know you are going to make a big difference in people's lives! Love and Miss you sooooo much xx